Jim Calhoun Way closed through summer 2020, North Eagleville Road complete

0
0
exc-5bbc1870ec212def8b024207

Construction on Jim Calhoun Way continues to disrupt access to the road. Pedestrian access to the area is possible via the Hilltop Apartments, but the road remains closed to passenger vehicles long after the posted time interval has ended. (Sachin Menon/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut recently announced the portion of Jim Calhoun Way between Alumni Drive and I Lot will be closed until Summer 2020, according to an official university post.

I Lot can be accessed from Separatist Road, and the remainder of Jim Calhoun Way can be accessed via Alumni Drive or Hillside Road, according to the post.

The closure is in place to allow for completion of “additional infrastructure upgrades for the southwest area of campus and development of new athletic facilities,” the announcement said.

The Board of Trustees approved a plan for construction of a new ice hockey arena in September, but when construction will begin is still unknown. The new arena will be connected to the Freitas Ice Forum.

Construction on North Eagleville Road is completed, according to the post. Left turns onto Glenbrook Road for inbound traffic will be re-established. North Eagleville was complete with road markings and landscape improvements at the end of September.

Caitlin Willis, a third-semester English major, said she is relieved that the construction on North Eagleville Road is complete.

“It’ll make traveling easier, and hopefully it’ll normalize the bus routes,” Willis said.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.