First Night comes back with a bang

0
3
exc-5bc3cc6b0852293bddf2e363

After First Night was canceled last year due to construction at Gampel Pavilion, the event returned in full swing on Friday.  

This year’s festivities included a concert performance from Ayo and Teo that started at 6 p.m. The duo is known for their song “Rolex.” 

One of the most anticipated parts of the night was the player entrances. Both men’s and women’s players came out to music and made their way to the court dancing and high-fiving fans the whole way.  

Next, the men’s and women’s basketball coaches made their entrances complete with an intro from UConn drumline.  

UConn’s women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma came out  and made a memorable speech about the passion of UConn’s fans before introducing the new men’s basketball coach, Dan Hurley.  

Hurley’s entrance was met with thunderous applause. He was clearly aware that his hire was a new start for the program and made an impassioned speech about not letting the fans down.  

The basketball teams host First Night after a year break due to roof renovations. The event showed a preview of the team and had activities that included a dun contest, 3-pint contest, and half court shot contest. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The two most memorable activities for the night were the dunk contest and the three-point contest.  

Senior forward Kwintin Williams dominated the dunk contest. Freshman Olivia Nelson-Adoda also participated in the competition, and received thunderous applause from the audience despite not being able to successfully get one in.  

Senior Katie Lou Samuelson dominated the three-point contest. She made shot after shot to easily beat both of her opponents and was crowned champion.  

The women’s basketball seasons begins on Sunday Nov. 4 at Gampel Pavilion with an exhibition game against Vanguard. The men’s season begins on Friday Nov. 2 at Gampel Pavilion with an exhibition game against Southern Connecticut State University.  

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.