Research event here to get students interested in research at UConn

0
0
exc-5bc40183e79c7060b0792d39

Research Connections, an event that intends to introduce University of Connecticut students to the research community and get them interested in doing research here at UConn, will be held at Peter J. Werth Residence Tower on Wednesday Oct. 17th. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Research Connections, an event that intends to introduce University of Connecticut students to the research community and get them interested in doing research here at UConn, will be held at Peter J. Werth Residence Tower on Wednesday Oct. 17th. This event connects students to almost 100 interdisciplinary researchers across campus.

The event is open to all UConn students who are interested in research. Students who attend have the opportunity to speak to other student researches about their work, according to the UConn Learning Communities website.

“We want this event to be a defining experience of discovery about access to undergraduate research in a casual setting,” said Helena DeBald, program coordinator for UConn Learning Communities.

The event is meant to introduce students to the many opportunities to do research at UConn and hear firsthand from other students how to begin getting involved.

“I would have loved having an event like this as a first-year student. I didn’t know how to get started in research, and this would have been a great way to ask advice from students who had figured it out before me, as well as to learn what types of research I could do,” said Katherine Bell, a student researcher who will be presenting her work on “The Effects of Road Salt Pollution on Soils and Tree Health,” on Wednesday.

Aside from interacting with research students, they will be putting on activities for students to interact with key offices like the Center for Career Development, The Peter J. Werth Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation along with the Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation (CCEI) and the Technology Incubation Program (TIP).

For many students, Research Connections is making what is usually cumbersome more easily accessible.

“It can be intimidating to meet with a bunch of professors to assess your options, especially in big departments where there are so many different areas of focus,” said Weston Henry, a student researcher whose involves protecting Connecticut’s butterfly population. “It is a great opportunity for underclassmen to connect with upperclassmen and easily find potential research opportunities.”

For a full program of who is attending the event, visit https://lc.uconn.edu/researchconnections/.

Alexis Charles is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexis.charles@uconn.edu.