UConn to hold Attorney-General candidate forum Tuesday

0
0

Peter Goselin (Green) and William Tong (D) will debate at the UConn Storrs campus in the Konover Auditorium at the Dodd Center, Tuesday Oct. 16 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Doors will be open prior to the event at 6:30 p.m. The event is hosted by the UConn Undergraduate Student Government. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut is hosting a debate between candidates running for the state Attorney-General position preceding the midterm election. Peter Goselin (Green) and William Tong (D) will debate at the UConn Storrs campus in the Konover Auditorium at the Dodd Center, Tuesday Oct. 16 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Doors will be open prior to the event at 6:30 p.m. The event is hosted by the UConn Undergraduate Student Government.

Opening and closing statements will occur for about eight minutes each, questions are 45 minutes, and the lightning round, which consists of rapid fire questions, will last five minutes.

Damon Reynolds, Chairman of the USG External Affairs Committee, said that some of the topics involved in the discussion may include immigration enforcement, recreational marijuana, federal student loan program litigation, role and priorities of the office, gun reform, LGBTQ+ rights and casinos.

The event aims “to better inform UConn students of their voting options in the upcoming November midterm elections,” Reynolds said.

Sue Hatfield, the Republican Attorney-General candidate and nominee of both the Independent Party and her own, is currently unconfirmed on her appearance on the forum, Reynolds said.

“USG is currently reaching out to different political groups across campus to hopefully get her campaign involved in the discussion,” Reynolds said.

The online political database Ballotpedia shows record that Connecticut has never had an Attorney-General from the Green Party and hasn’t had a Republican in the position since 1959, voting Democrat for a consistent 65 years.

To acquire a ticket for the forum, those interested in attending may register online through Eventbrite.

Students are also encouraged to submit questions through a Google form to be asked directly to the candidates.

For questions, comments or further information on UConn’s Attorney-General forum, the External Affairs Committee can be reached at externalaffairs@uconn.edu.

Sean Humphrey is a regional correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.humphrey@uconn.edu.