Volleyball: UConn heads home from Florida with a win and a loss 

0
1
exc-5bc3e0971905f4c1aca999bf

Iman McGary rises above the competition to hit the ball during a match against Cincinnati on Oct. 7, 2018. (Judah Shingleton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team traveled to Florida this weekend to take on USF and UCF in what were two heated matches.  

The Huskies (11-9, 3-4 The American) walked away with a victory on Friday over USF (14-6, 3-4 The American), but lost to top ranked opponent UCF (16-3, 7-0 The American) on Sunday. 

The game against USF was a very competitive one, going five sets with UConn ultimately coming out on top after being down two sets to one. UConn took the first set 25-20 and looked strong on both ends of the court. It was the Bulls who came back strong and won the next two sets 25-20 and 25-23 respectively. Those two sets were a wakeup call for the Huskies, and they fought back to win the crucial fourth set 25-22 and force a fifth. In the fifth, the Huskies overpowered the Bulls and were able to secure the match victory with a 15-11 win. 

This was UConn’s third comeback victory of the year, a welcome sight for a team that has struggled to play consistently later in matches thus far in the season. 

Freshman Caylee Parker once again stood out among the crowd, tallying her seventh double double of the season with 25 kills (her second highest total of the season) and 13 digs. Also not so surprisingly, Senior Emma Turner led the team in assists, as she has done every game thus far, with 44. Turner was also able to put together a double double, her ninth of the year, as she added another 12 digs on the day. 

On the defensive end, the Huskies were led by senior Elizabeth Kline who racked up another 15 digs to lead the team and sophomore Isabelle Peterson who sent back four attacks in the match.  

It was a different story for the Huskies when they traveled to Orlando to take on top ranked opponent UCF. Things started out well for the Huskies, as they won the first set 25-18 and looked to be in control with a strong .429 hitting percentage. But it was a tough rest of the match for UConn, as UCF, led by McKenna Melville, who had a game-high 17 kills, starting to get in a rhythm. The Knights took the next three sets 25-19, 25-16 and 25-16 to end what began as a promising game for UConn. 

This time it was freshman Kennadie Jake-Turner leading the Huskies on both ends of the court, finishing with a team-high 11 kills and five blocks. Jake-Turner has had a large impact on the team since her return from injury, and the Huskies are hopeful her contributions will lead to more success down the road. 

Peterson finished with three service aces, a season high. A duo of Turner and redshirt freshman Courtney Morris finished with 19 and 17 assists respectively, and Kline once again led the team by tallying another 13 digs. 

The Huskies will come back to Storrs next weekend to take on Tulane on Friday at 7 p.m. and Memphis on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Gampel. Both teams sit below UConn in The American, so the Huskies are hopeful to end next weekend with a couple more matches in their win column.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.