Women’s Hockey: Huskies split weekend matchups 


File Photo- UConn split their weekend against New Hampshire and Holy Cross. (Jon Sammis/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team squared off with conference foes UNH and Holy Cross this weekend. The Huskies visited UNH on Friday night, falling 5-3, then quickly turned things around back home on Saturday against Holy Cross and came out on top 7-2. UConn moves to 4-1 on the season and 2-1 in conference play. 

The first period of the UNH (1-2-1, 1-1-0 WHEA) game was action-packed, with both teams scoring two goals apiece. For UNH, Nicole Dunbar started things off with the game’s first goal with 9 minutes remaining in the first period. UConn responded less than two minutes later with a goal from junior Emily Reid, assisted by senior Rebecca Linblad. The Huskies continued their strong offensive attack, as junior Briana Colangelo scored just 80 seconds later, giving UConn the advantage 2-1.  

A dry period of just over four minutes passed before another puck slid through the back of the net. This time it was UNH back on the board, as Tori Howran scored an unassisted goal to tie it back up. Surprisingly, the second period only resulted in one goal from either team, with Taylor Wenczkowski for UNH scoring about midway through the period, making the score 3-2. 

UNH put another goal away in the first minute of the third period, now giving UConn a two-goal deficit to overcome. The Huskies were able to put another goal in with less than two minutes left. A very tense end to the game resulted in another goal for UNH in the closing seconds, making the final score 5-3.  

Linblad was a key offensive player against UNH, as she assisted the first goal and scored the third for the Huskies.  

The result against Holy Cross (0-3-2, 0-2-0 WHEA) was much more favorable. The game began with a Holy Cross goal scored by Amanda Kewer just two minutes into the action. Ten minutes later, UConn answered with a goal from senior Jamie Fox, her second of the year, assisted by Tristyn Svetek. UConn was able to push another goal through with less than five minutes remaining in the first period to give it the advantage 2-1. This one was scored by sophomore Morgan Wabick and assisted by Catherine Crawley and Colangelo. 

Again in the second period, UConn scored two goals to Holy Cross’ one. The first one for the Huskies came five minutes into the period, as Leona Sim and Svetek assisted Savannah Bouzide. Holy Cross put a goal in about eight minutes later as the score tightened up at 3-2 UConn.  

The Huskies scored four more goals in the game to come out on top 7-2, one more came at the end of the second period and three from the third period. Holy Cross was unable to muster any offense after the second period. The remaining goals for UConn were scored by Reid, Wabick, Leona Sim and Nora Maclaine.  

The offensive star for the Huskies in this game was Wabick with two goals scored. After this weekend, Wabick has racked up six points thus far – three goals and three assists. Colangelo also chipped in with two assists against Holy Cross.  

The Huskies will take the week to practice and prepare for a road matchup with Boston University this Friday in a battle of first-place squads. 

Sam Newton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at samuel.newton@uconn.edu.

Leave a Reply