Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeLifeMelissa’s Menu: Loaded baked potato soup

Melissa’s Menu: Loaded baked potato soup

This week’s Melissa’s Menu is the perfect comfort food: loaded baked potato soup. It’s creamy, indulgent and includes all of your favorite potato toppings. (Photo via  damndelicious )

This week’s Melissa’s Menu is the perfect comfort food: loaded baked potato soup. It’s creamy, indulgent and includes all of your favorite potato toppings. (Photo via damndelicious)

Fall is here, the weather is chilly and everyone is getting sick, which means soup season is upon us! This week’s Melissa’s Menu is the perfect comfort food: loaded baked potato soup. It’s creamy, indulgent and includes all of your favorite potato toppings. There’s cheese, crispy bacon and a creamy potato base. All the rich and savory flavors of a loaded baked potato blend together perfectly in this soup, and it is definitely the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold evening.

Ingredients

4 slices bacon, diced
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups milk, or more as needed
3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, for about six to eight minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, for about one minute. Gradually whisk in milk, whisking constantly until the mixture is slightly thickened, which should take about one to two minutes. Stir in potatoes and green onions. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately, garnished with green onion, cheese and bacon, if desired.

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.