Field Hockey: Huskies to face Liberty and Boston University

0
5

The UConn Huskies took their second loss of the season 2-5 against Princeton on Sunday, Oct. 7. They look to bounce back in their next home game next Friday, 10/12 against Villanova.

Photo by Eric Wang, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus

The No. 5 UConn field hockey team will host Liberty on Thursday at 6 p.m. before traveling to Boston University to take on the Terriers Sunday at 1 p.m..

The Huskies (12-3, 5-0 Big East) will look to bounce back from a 2-1 defeat suffered against top-ranked North Carolina in Newton, Massachusetts, on Sunday. Red-shirt freshman goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher recorded seven saves to keep the Huskies in the game while sophomore Kourtney Kennedy scored her first career goal off a penalty corner that evened the game at 1-1 in the second half. Juniors Svea Boker and Antonia Tiedtke tallied assists on the penalty corner goal.

The loss marked UConn’s third loss in its last five games and dropped the Huskies’ record against ranked opponents to 5-3 this season.

Thursday’s opponent, No. 19 Liberty, is coming off a 2-1 win over Georgetown on Friday. Aguenda Moroni has led the Flame (10-4, 5-0 Big East) offensively with 20 goals and 10 assists, while Allison Schaffer has started every game in goal, allowing 1.9 goals per game on a .679 save percentage. The winner of the matchup between UConn and Liberty will claim sole possession of first place in the Big East.

Sunday’s opponent, No. 24 Boston University, is fresh off a 3-2 overtime victory at Bucknell. Petra Hall and Ailsa Connolly have paced the Terriers (8-5) with 14 points each. Goalkeeper Kathleen Keegan is conceding 1.96 goals per game with a .569 save rate.

This season, UConn is averaging 4.27 goals per game while allowing just 1.33 goals per game to opponents. Fifth-year senior Cecile Pieper leads the Huskies in goals (15) and points (36), while Tiedtke has a team-high 16 assists. Sprecher currently holds a 0.753 save percentage in goal.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.