Undergraduate student government discusses upcoming campaigns and support of Indigenous People’s Day

0
0
exc-5bc803ce1905f4be76368bfd

The upcoming gubernatorial election is a point of interest for USG, as the External Affairs Chairman Damon Reynolds is setting up a ballot party next Friday to increase participation in the upcoming election. (Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus)

The Undergraduate Student Government Senate discussed the upcoming gubernatorial election, collaborations with UConn PIRG and other initiatives Wednesday night.

Student Development Chair Sawera Hussan said her committee is working on restoring the Beauty in Diversity series, which focuses on promoting diversity on campus and adressing issues with discrimination.

“We will be tabling on Monday, Oct. 22 in the Student Union from 12-3 p.m. and we will be doing two things,” Hassan said. “One survey where we ask students if they ever experienced discrimination and what actions can USG take protect UConn students. The second part is on Monday, students can write on leaves on what they believe is the importance on diversity.”

“The second project we are working on is (the) South Campus Project, where we will put a tagline along the south campus dining hall walkway for promoting diversity,” Hassan said.

USG is working with UConnPIRG’s Zero Waste campaign to increase transparency in trash and recycling receptors, Student Services Chair Derik Pan said.

“We proposed a initiative to place more trash cans and recycling bins around more strategic areas in campus,” Pan said.

The upcoming gubernatorial election is a point of interest for USG, as the External Affairs Chairman Damon Reynolds is setting up a ballot party next Friday to increase participation in the upcoming election.

The Senate also discussed a joint resolution urging UConn to recognize Columbus Day as Indigenous People’s Day.

The Native American Cultural Center had a tabling on Monday, gathering over one thousand signatures in support of UConn officially acknowledging Indigenous People’s Day.

Bianca Castelan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at bianca.castelan@uconn.edu.