New UConn Fire Chief sworn in at Promotions and Recognition Ceremony

0
0
exc-5bc9237f53450a722c18ad74

Emergency vehicles waiting to be dispatched line the outside of the UConn Department of Public Safety’s main location off of North Eagleville Road (Erin Craig/The Daily Camps).

The University of Connecticut Fire Department swore in its new Fire Chief, William Perez, at its annual Promotions and Recognition Ceremony yesterday afternoon.

The ceremony was held at the Public Safety Complex at 3 p.m. and featured various other recognitions and some rank promotions, according to university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

“Seeing so many of our public safety personnel in one room was a reminder to everyone that UConn is lucky to have such dedicated and talented people in those jobs,” Reitz said. “Nothing we do here in terms of academics would matter if we aren’t safe, and the men and women who work behind the scenes to ensure that safety have our utmost gratitude.”

Reitz said it was clear right away that Fire Chief Perez is getting a warm and welcoming reception from his department and the university.

“We’re fortunate to get someone with his talent and knowledge in the job, and though he’s only been on board a short time, he’s clearly already a respected and enthusiastic member of the public safety team,” Retiz said.

Perez joined UConn after working for 25 years in the East Hartford Fire Department and earning the rank of assistant fire chief, Reitz said. He has a long list of certifications and awards and is currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Hartford.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.