Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeSportsWomen’s Hockey: Huskies set to take on conference opponents this weekend

Women’s Hockey: Huskies set to take on conference opponents this weekend

Women’s Hockey moves the puck against Providence College, a Hockey East opponent (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team has an important weekend ahead of them, as they play two conference games against Boston University and Merrimack.

It will be a battle of the dogs on Friday night as the Huskies travel up to Boston to face off with the Terriers. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena.

Both teams are off to good starts in the 2018 season and are currently in a virtual tie for first place in Hockey East. UConn is 4-1 overall and 2-1 in the conference. BU has played only conference games, and they are 1-1-2. The winner of this game will be in sole possession of first place in Hockey East.

UConn is coming off a 7-2 win over Holy Cross last Saturday, a game in which six different Huskies scored. They will look to use the confidence created by that big win to take down a couple of formidable opponents this weekend.

BU is coming off their first win of the season, a 3-2 victory over New Hampshire last Saturday.

After that Friday night thriller, the Huskies will return home on Saturday to play Merrimack at the Freitas Ice Forum at 3 p.m.

The Warriors have also started the season well, going 3-0-2 overall and 0-0-1 in Hockey East. They also play a conference game on Friday night against Boston College.

If BC fails to beat them, UConn will look to hand Merrimack their first loss of the young season.

This weekend has huge implications for the Huskies. They can enter next week with a 6-1 record and a comfortable lead in Hockey East, or they can be 4-3 and in the middle of the pack. This is UConn’s first real chance to make a statement this season.

With a lot of conference matchups this weekend all around Hockey East, there will almost certainly be a shakeup in the standings. It should be an exciting weekend for women’s hockey.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu .