FAFSA mobile app created for students on the go

0
0
exc-5bcd13cc9140b7564527536f

In addition to the FAFSA form, the app allows students and parents to manage their Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID, view federal student aid history, compare information about different schools, as well as access contact information for the FSA customer support center, Fernandes said. (File/The Daily Campus)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) launched the myStudentAid mobile app for the 2019-20 FAFSA cycle, which allows students and parents to access and complete the FAFSA form from their mobile devices.

Carrie Fernandes, associate director of the Office Compliance and Quality Assurance at the University of Connecticut, said the app provides students and parents with the ability to complete the FAFSA form on the go.

“It allows for a student to start the FAFSA on their own phone, and then the parents can complete the FAFSA on their phone for a seamless application process,” Fernandes said.

In addition to the FAFSA form, the app allows students and parents to manage their Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID, view federal student aid history, compare information about different schools, as well as access contact information for the FSA customer support center, Fernandes said.

“I downloaded the app on my own personal phone and completed my FAFSA; it was simple, intuitive, and student-friendly,” Fernandes said. “You are even able to sign by using your finger.”

Once the FAFSA form is submitted, students should receive a confirmation email to indicate the application was submitted successfully. If the student is unsure the submission was received, they can view their FAFSA status on the mobile app or on fafsa.gov, Fernandes said.

data-animation-override>
“For the 2019-2020 academic year, students should monitor their UConn emails in April 2019 for notification of the financial aid award from the Office of Student Financial Aid Services,” Fernandes said.

According to the Office of Student Financial Aid Services website, students should submit their FAFSA before UConn’s on-time deadline of March 1 for maximum aid consideration.

The myStudentAid mobile app is available from both the Apple App Store (iOS) and the Google Play Store (Android), according to the UConn Daily Digest.

“The app is a great technological move forward for Federal Student Aid,” Fernandes said.

Fiona Brady is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at fiona.brady@uconn.edu.