UCPD offers Halloween safety tips for students

0
0
exc-5bcd488f419202a5379b3095

Students should avoid illicit drugs, Hyland said. The drug Fentanyl, which is more potent than heroin and morphine, is becoming a widely popular substance that can easily be lethal, Hyland added. (William Warby/Flickr Creative Commons)

The University of Connecticut Police Department advises students to protect themselves and those around them should they be heading out to parties and events for Halloween, especially if there is alcohol involved, Lieutenant Jason R. Hyland said.

“Just be smart,” Hyland said. “There’s no point in telling people not to [drink]. You never know what you are getting, unless it’s your alcohol. So drink in moderation.”

Hyland said it is crucial for students to develop a system of communication and a solid transportation plan with their group.

“Decide amongst a group of friends and say ‘if there’s 10 of us, then two of us should stay sober,” Hyland said. “And say ‘here are the ground rules: no one should be drinking to excess, we’re going home at one o’clock, we’re all going home together, no one will be left behind.’”

Hyland said making plans ahead of time is helpful so that each individual has an understanding of what is going on.

“Just make those decisions while you’re focused on safety before the chemicals have inhibited you,” Hyland said.

Students should avoid illicit drugs, Hyland said. The drug Fentanyl, which is more potent than heroin and morphine, is becoming a widely popular substance that can easily be lethal, Hyland added.

“You don’t know what it is unless it is prescribed to you,” Hyland said. “There’s just no safe way to take any of that kind of medication and especially if you don’t know where it came from, it may not be what it looks like.”

Hyland said it is vital for students to be aware of the candy they are receiving at parties, as well.

data-animation-override>
“As long as you have that caution and general mindset, you’re okay,” Hyland said. “Saying, ‘do I know what this is, where am I getting it from and what could the possibilities be?’ That mindset will get you through most of life anyway.”

Hyland said although UCPD and UConn Fire Department will be ramping up staffing and security next weekend, the most important route of safety for students is community.

“The community needs to look out for itself and look out for each other,” Hyland said. “You can see the groups of people who have decided to take care of each other.”

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.