Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeSportsTop Husky performances of the weekend

Top Husky performances of the weekend

Abdou Mbacke Thiam attacks in a game where the Men’s Soccer team defeated Boston College 3-2 on a Tuesday night. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Although there was not a surplus of winning this weekend from UConn athletics, there were a number of individual performances worth talking about that highlight this week’s top Husky performances of the weekend.

David Pindell, Football

Even though the Huskies fell to the Bulls from USF, they battled until the end in what would wind up as a 38-30 loss. Quarterback David Pindell rushed for a career-high 197 yards, scored twice on the ground and threw for 133 yards. Pindell was named to the American Conference Honor Roll for his effort.

Cecile Pieper, Field Hockey

Redshirt senior Cecile Pieper proved herself critical once again in the Huskies’ two wins over ranked opponents this past weekend. Pieper, who leads the team in goals (17) and points (43), recorded seven points on two goals and three assists this weekend, including the go-ahead goal against No. 24 BU. Peiper was named Big East Player of the Week for her impressive performances.

Tomas Vomacka, Men’s Hockey

Freshman goaltender Tomas Vomacka was named Hockey East Rookie of the Week for his performance in the team’s win over RPI. Starting in place of junior Adam Huska, Vomacka made 23 saves, including 11 in the second period, to earn his first collegiate win in his first collegiate start.

Abdou Mbacke Thiam, Men’s Soccer

The UConn men’s soccer team remains undefeated at home due largely to Abdou Mbacke Thiam’s two-goal outing against conference foe Temple. Thiam notched his first goal of the match off a penalty kick, securing a double-digit goal season in each of his four years at UConn. Thiam chipped the ball over the Temple goaltender in the 87th minute to secure the win for the Huskies, his sixth game-winning goal on the year.

Julie Hu, Women’s Swimming

Both the men’s and women’s swimming teams had impressive showings this weekend, but senior Julie Hu stood out. Hu placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06.36 and also placed first in the 200-yard breaststroke, finishing in just 2:23.21.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.