Women’s Hockey: Huskies look to right the ship against Brown, Union

0
6

UConn Women’s Hockey celebrates after a win at Freitas Ice Forum (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team will be looking to pick up their first win in over a week when they take on the Brown University Bears on Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 6 p.m. The Bears are currently 2-0 on the season and in second place in the ECAC.

The Bears have only faced one opponent, the Holy Cross Crusaders, who they beat 3-1 at home the first time around and then went to them the next day and won 4-0.

The Huskies (4-2-1, 2-2-1 Hockey East) have also played Holy Cross this season and won by a score of 7-2. Sophomore forward Morgan Wabick led the team with two goals and Nora Maclaine, Savannah Bouzide, Leona Sim, Jamie Fox and Emily Reid all scored once.

The Bears’ leading goal scorer so far this season is freshman forward Lizzy Gross, who has scored three times. However, freshman forward Shay Maloney leads the team in points, as she has assisted on four of Brown’s seven goals, including two of Gross’.

Then on Saturday, Oct. 27, UConn will go up against the Union College Dutchwomen, who are sitting at 2-5-1 this season.

The Huskies and Dutchwomen share one common opponent, the Merrimack College Warriors. Both sides suffered losses to the Warriors, as Union lost two games in a row by a combined score of 7-1 and UConn just recently fell to them 3-1.

Junior forward Haley Shugart leads the team in goals this season with four, and senior defenseman Arianna Kosakowski leads the team in points with five, two goals and three assists.

The Huskies are 4-2-1 this season, however after a 3-0 start to the season it has been much harder sledding. Over the past two games, UConn has been outscored 2-4.

Both games this week will be away, and the Huskies will not have another home game until Friday, Nov. 9.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.