HomeNewsNew food delivery service owned by UConn sophomore

New food delivery service owned by UConn sophomore

The MunchBunch app was created by a UConn sophomore and is the newest food delivery service. (Photo courtesy of  MunchBunch )

The MunchBunch app was created by a UConn sophomore and is the newest food delivery service. (Photo courtesy of MunchBunch)

Munchbunch.co, rival to Hungry Button (formerly known as Hungry Huskies), is the newest food delivery service to hit the University of Connecticut—and it’s owned by third-semester UConn computer science major Andrew Burns.

The company, accessible only via the mobile app, is designed to save students money, Burns said.

“The idea is that it’s an app where you can order food with people around you to save money,” Burns said. “You can also meet new people.”

When ordering, students can collaborate with nearby peers found on the app to decrease the delivery cost for each person.

“The way it works is you split delivery costs,” Burns said. “You can also get discounts based off of the number of people in your bunch.”

The restaurants currently participating are D.P. Dough, Sgt. Pepperoni, Gansett Wraps, Pizza Mike’s and Wally’s Chicken Coop, Burns said.

Wingstop will soon be added to the list, Burns said. He said he hopes the app will help bring students together.

“The big thing for us is that we offer a lot and that you can save money and it’s a social way of ordering,” Burns said. “We’re going to be promoting it around campus, just hitting the ground.”

Going forward, Burns said he plans to make the service accessible on more platforms.

“I’m talking with manager developers right now to get either an android version or a web version so you can order on your laptop,” Burns said.

The app currently has 150 users.

“We’re working and hoping to grow pretty quick,” Burns said.

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.