UConn Foundation names new chairman

0
3
exc-5bd90ef1aa4a9938caec74e5

John Malfettone, a 1977 University of Connecticut, was named the new chairman of the UConn Foundation. (Photo supplied by writer/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn Foundation named John Malfettone their new chairman on Thursday, Oct. 25. Malfettone is a 1977 University of Connecticut graduate, an active alum and board member of eight years.

Malfettone received a bachelor of science in accounting and graduated magna cum laude, according to the UConn Foundation.

Malfettone will replace Dan Toscano, class of 1987, a financial executive at Morgan Stanley who led the board for three years and left the position this past year, according to the UConn Foundation.

Malfettone said he is retiring from his current job as senior managing director for private equity firm, Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. His experience in business will help him achieve his goals to increase the level of principal giving overall to UConn and further to engage residents of the Fairfield County region, according to the UConn Foundation.

“We need to build on this tremendous momentum,” Malfettone said in a press release by the UConn Foundation.

The UConn Foundation promotes the educational, scientific, cultural, research and recreational objectives of the University of Connecticut through alumni and supporters, who are the primary fundraising vehicle for the University according to the foundation’s website.

John Fodor, UConn class of 1985, interim president and CEO of the UConn Foundation, said Malfettone’s business experience will serve the Foundation well.

“We are so lucky to have John [Malfettone],” Fodor said. “His business acumen along with his love of UConn and institutional knowledge will be great assets.”

According to UConn’s Office of Alumni Relations, Malfettone’s past involvement with the university includes chairing the Finance Committee. He was recently appointed to the UConn Foundation Board of Directors as co-chair of the Athletic Development Committee. He continues to serve on the Finance and Audit Committees.

Malfettone’s involvement at UConn after graduation includes speaking to his business background at the UConn School of Business on topics such as, “Corporate Compliance as a Competitive Advantage,” according to the UConn School of Business.

“Mr. Malfettone described the role of a chief compliance officer within the corporation, from the routine, such as ensuring regulatory compliance, to the intriguing, such as overseeing ‘whistleblower’ programs,” attendee and MBA candidate Allegra Klein said to the School of Business.

President Susan Herbst said she was confident in the newly elected chairman’s abilities to help UConn to build and maintain excellence.

“John is an outstanding leader and I look forward to working closely with him in the months ahead,” Herbst said.

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.