HomeSportsAthlete spotlight: Catching up with Ryan Dulaney

Athlete spotlight: Catching up with Ryan Dulaney

In her last swim meet, against Army, Ryan Dulaney picked up a win in the 500 and 1,000. Photo courtesy of UConn Huskies

Ryan Dulaney is a sophomore on the UConn women’s swimming and diving team and has made a significant impact this year. The Chicago native placed first in both the 500m and the 1000m freestyle in her last meet against Southern Connecticut State University and has shown strong performances in the other two meets so far this season. Dulaney has been swimming since she was eight years old and wanted to continue her swimming career at the next level. She was willing to take some time out of the pool to reveal some fun facts about herself to the Daily Campus.

Julia Dowd: What is your major?

Ryan Dulaney: I’m undecided right now, but I’m applying to the business school.

Dowd: Since you’re from Illinois, what made you pick UConn?

Dulaney: I picked UConn because I’ve lived in Chicago my whole life and I wanted to go off on my own and be independent. It was a good fit for swimming and my academics.

Dowd: What is your favorite thing to do outside of swimming?

Dulaney: I like to shop and take long trip to the mall anytime I can get off campus.

Dowd: Do you have a favorite athlete(s) that inspire you when you compete?

Dulaney: Katie Ledecky. She does the same events as me and is an incredible athlete for her age.

Dowd: What is your go-to pre-meet snack?

Dulaney: A bagel with peanut butter.

Dowd: What is your favorite event to compete in?

Dulaney: I’d say the 500 because I’ve been consistently swimming it since I was in high school and it’s the perfect in-between event from the 1000 and the 200.

Dowd: Any favorite TV shows or movies?

Dulaney: For TV I’d say “Orange is the New Black,” and since the Christmas season is coming up, I’d say “The Polar Express.”

Dowd: Who is your favorite musical artist/genre?

Dulaney: I like a mix between rap and alternative so I’d have to say Quinn XCII.

Dowd: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Dulaney: Greece because my parents went there when I was younger and it looked really pretty when they showed me the pictures.

Dowd: What is your most memorable moment so far in your sports career?

Dulaney: Swimming at conference last year. I’d never felt more nervous for a meet and getting on an airplane with the team to Texas was a whole new experience. It was the most intense meet we had that year and the most pressure, but the good kind.

Dowd: Who is your biggest inspiration?

Dulaney: My mom. She’s the reason I started swimming because she swam when she was younger. She is the most positive person I know and does everything she can to make me successful, I do it for her.

Dowd: What is your favorite quote/motto to live by?

Dulaney: My high school coach once said, “Don’t think, just do.” Which means don’t over think things and if you want to do it, do.

Julia Dowd is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.dowd@uconn.edu.