Stefanowski tweets ‘mass swearing in’ of voters in Storrs and New Haven illegal

0
0
exc-5be2599f2b6a2899e6488a0c

Two of the three leading candidates for Connecticut Governor; Democrat Ned Lamont, left, and Republican Bob Stefanowski, right, chat prior to facing off in their final gubernatorial debate with and petitioning candidate Oz Griebel one week before the election Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018 at at the Premier Ballroom at Foxwoods in Ledyard, Conn. (Sean D. Elliot/The Day via AP)

Connecticut gubernatorial candidate Bob Stefanowski (R) claimed last night that the same-dayt registration of many voters in Storrs and New Haven is illegal. The state GOP has filed an injunction to separate out these ballots.

Spokesman Gabe Rosenberg from the Secretary of the State’s office said to Fox 61 and other state news outlets that the ballots will be counted but they have been separated “out of an abundance of caution.”

In Connecticut, it is legal for voters to register the day of the election and they may vote so long as they have registered by 8 p.m.

“According to State Statues Title 9: They need to be registered and processed before 8 p.m.,” Stefanowski tweeted Tuesday night after polls had closed. “That checks the statewide system to ensure they haven’t voted elsewhere. Mass swearing in circumvents this vital process to our election integrity.”

The group in question is new voters who have never been registered in Connecticut, according to the U.S. News and World Report.

Secretary of the State Denise Merrill said about 8,000 people had registered to vote Tuesday, per Fox 61.

Stefanowski tweeted the Hartford Superior Court has set up a follow-up hearing to take place Friday at 10 a.m., if necessary.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.