The Aftermath: UConn’s election reactions

0
4

Governor-elect Ned Lamont reacts when speaking to supporters in Hartford, Conn., Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018. Lamont won election Wednesday as Connecticut’s governor, keeping the office in Democratic hands in part by promising to be a “firewall” against the policies of President Donald Trump. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

University of Connecticut students are divided in their reactions to the midterm election outcomes, mirroring the division seen in the elections’ many tight races.

Connecticut’s governor-elect Ned Lamont (D) beat Bob Stefanowski (R) by 1.3 percentage points. Lamont’s supporters are excited about Connecticut’s future, yet recognize that he has a lot of groundwork to cover to satisfy his constituents.

data-animation-override>
“It’s important that (Lamont) makes the budget deficit and tax plan a priority,” first-semester communication major Nick Magliochetti said. “Without that, it will be difficult to improve approval ratings.”

Jacob Marie, Director of Political Engagement for the UConn College Republicans, was among those in opposition to the gubernatorial outcome. Marie, on behalf of the entire organization, said that congratulations are in order to all the victors of the election, including Lamont.

“However,” Marie continued, “Given the positions (the Democrats) have staked out so far, (the UConn College Republicans) do not expect a bright future for Connecticut.”

Marie said Lamont, along with the other victorious Democrats, remains “clueless” about the challenges Connecticut faces, meaning “bleak” opportunities for UConn students hoping to stay in the state after graduation.

“(Democrats fail to recognize) what really holds our state back, namely high taxes, reckless spending and the debilitating hold state employee unions have on elected officials. Mr. Lamont is unlikely to change course… (The UConn College Republicans) hope Connecticut residents will realize this at the next election, and vote for change,” Marie said.

According to the Hartford Courant, the office of Bob Stefanowski released a similar public statement when addressing Stefanowski’s choice to preemptively concede to Lamont.

“I wish both Ned and the state of Connecticut success over these next four years,” Stefanowski wrote. “While this (Lamont win) is not the result we would have hoped for, I am glad that we were able to draw so much attention to the tax burden in this state.

First-semester management and engineering for manufacturing major Elijah Taitel said that the close gubernatorial race is a testament to the dissatisfaction statewide with the actions of current governor Dannel Malloy.

“There was no clear choice, in my opinion. This election was largely based around improvement from our current state. I hope that (Ned Lamont) will do that,” Taitel said.

First-semester ACES student Brett Muni said that in this election he voted based on strategy, rather than personal preference.

“I felt more inclined to vote for Griebel,” Muni said. “But in a close election (that is) this important, I voted for Lamont to save the win from Stefanowski.”

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.