Volleyball: Huskies head to Memphis and New Orleans for their last road trip of the season

0
3

The UConn Huskies Volleyball team celebrates their win against USF at Gamble Pavilion on Saturday, November 3, 2018. (Judah Shingleton/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team will travel to Memphis to take on the Tigers before heading to New Orleans to play Tulane in their last away-matches of the season.

First up for the Huskies will be their rematch against Memphis (12-12, 4-9 The American) on Friday. UConn lost the first matchup in five sets after mounting a huge comeback down 2-0 to force the final set.

It was sophomore Hannah Flowers who led the Tigers and will once again be the player to watch. Flowers finished the first match with a team-high 16 kills and game-high 4 service aces.

Senior Emma Turner made the biggest impact for the Huskies, finishing the match with 61 assists, eight digs, four blocks, and two service aces.

The Huskies final away-game of the season will be their rematch against Tulane (21-7, 9-4 The American) on Sunday. The Green Wave are coming in as one of the hottest teams in the league, having won their last nine games. Head coach Kris Grunwald remains confident that his team is ready for the challenge.

“Tulane is playing really well right now,” Grunwald said. “Having just played them a couple weeks ago, our scouting report is still valid and hopefully we do better handling the things we control to help facilitate slowing down what they do.”

The Huskies had a tough time getting anything going against Tulane the first time, ending with a hitting percentage of just .058. This included the Huskies having almost as many attack errors (22) as they did kills (28), something that Grunwald and his team are hopeful will change in the rematch.

The Tulane player to watch is senior Dayna Kern. Kern racked up six kills and four blocks in the teams’ first matchup. She is the anchor for Tulane’s strong defense and currently sits tied for fifth in the conference in blocks per set with 1.25.

In both games Grunwald is anticipating his seniors stepping up in what is their last road trip as Huskies, giving them a little extra motivation to end on a strong note despite illness amongst the players.

“We are in the midst of some sickness and injuries but the seniors are excited and motivated for their last road trip as Huskies,” Grunwald said. “This group has done a great job in maintaining the focus, energy and enthusiasm for the weekly challenges.”

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.