Cohen Scholarship Nomination due Nov. 16

0
0

For more information regarding the eligibility, requirements, past recipients or the deadline for the Cohen scholarship, please visit https://cohenscholarship.uconn.edu/. (Screenshot of website)

All undergraduate nominations for The Cohen Leadership Scholarship for Enhancing Community are due by Nov. 16; eligible students must be actively involved in a student organization according to The Cohen Scholarship website.

The Cohen Student Leadership Scholarship aims to recognize successful college student who are active members of their college campus and community, according to their website.

“The Cohen Student Leadership Scholarship is awarded to multiple undergraduate student members of registered student organizations who have demonstrated a significant and active commitment to eliminating bigotry, prejudice, and discrimination and the fostering of tolerance and understanding among the campus community as a part of their active membership in their student organizations,” according to their website.

The Cohen Leadership Scholarship started in 1990 by Stephen Cohen, a graduate from the University of Connecticut in 1965, to honor his parents Martha and Albert Cohen, according their website.

The Cohen Leadership Scholarship committee likes to see participants who express leadership qaulities and have fostered growth in their college campus and community, according to their website.

The recipient of this scholarship will be expected to participate in a one-day experience called the Cohen Scholarship Leadership Day, which will take place Sunday, Feb. 9, 2018, according to the Cohen Scholarship website.

This day will allow the recipients to talk among themselves and further discuss how bigotry, prejudice and discrimination can be prevented in different student organizations and throughout the college campus.

In addition to participating in the leadership day, recipients will also be recognized in a Cohen Scholarship dinner on Tuesday, March 26, 2018, according to the scholarship website.

In 2018, The Cohen Leadership Scholarship has recognized a wide range of students including UConn students like Qimei “May” Liu and Ryan Trager.

“Receiving The Cohen scholarship was important to me because it was the first time ever that I got affirmation for working for LGBT community, and it also taught me lessons about giving back to community” Liu said.

Liu co-founded a student organization named Queer, Asians and Allies (QAA).

“QAA’s primary mission was to provide a brave space for Asian LGBTQ community where all members felt comfortable to be themselves, because all founders personally have experienced a lot.” Liu said being queer is considered, “disgusting and [they have been] marginalized for being a queer in Asian/Asian American community.”

Trager received the Cohen Leadership Scholarship for his activism in promoting Jewish culture, according the scholarship website.

“Ryan is committed to raising awareness about the acceptance and understanding of Judaism,” according to the Cohen Scholarship website.

For more information regarding the eligibility, requirements, past recipients or the deadline for the Cohen scholarship, please visit https://cohenscholarship.uconn.edu/.

Shivani Padhi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at shivani.padhi@uconn.edu.