Five fantasy stars of Week 10

0
0
exc-5beb7b684ae237ac1f803e37

It was a huge week in fantasy football, with five players scoring over 30 points in standard leagues and 10 players doing it in PPR leagues. Of the top 10 players, half of them were running backs, proving running backs are the key to a good fantasy football team. Check out who were the best of the best this week. 

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger laughs as he takes questions during a news conference after the team’s NFL football game against the Carolina Panthers, Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers: 35 points standard, 35.8 points PPR 

If anyone had doubts about the Pittsburgh Steelers winning the AFC North, those doubts should be put to rest after their Thursday night domination of the Carolina Panthers. Big Ben and the Steelers crushed them 52-21 and Roethlisberger led the attack, throwing for 328 yards and five touchdowns. He also did all of this in just three quarters, as he was replaced by Joshua Dobbs for the Steelers’ first drive of the fourth quarter. 

Roethlisberger has been so good this season and that has come as somewhat of a surprise. At 36 years old, many people believed that Roethlisberger would begin his decline. However, he has done the exact opposite and is on pace to post the best passer rating of his career since 2014. Currently the No. 5 quarterback in fantasy football, Big Ben has proved he is worthy of a start every single week. 

Honorable Mentions: Mitchell Trubisky, Drew Brees 

Running back David Johnson, Arizona Cardinals: 29 points standard, 37.3 points PPR 

The running back position was stacked with monster performances in Week 10 and while the top five could easily have made this whole list, instead we are going with the top players in PPR and standard formats. Johnson is the top running back in PPR, accumulating 183 scrimmage yards on 28 touches (seven receptions) and scoring two touchdowns. 

It has been a rather disappointing season for David Johnson, and while he is still the No.10 ranked running back in fantasy, it is likely nowhere near what his owners expected when they drafted him in the top five. This is largely due to the deficiencies of the Cardinals offense which ranks dead last in total offensive yards and is over 500 yards behind the Buffalo Bills who are second to last. However, Johnson is still RB1 quality. While he may be on the low-end side rather than the high-end side that was expected, Johnson needs to remain in your lineup each week. 

Running back Nick Chubb, Cleveland Browns: 32 points standard, 35.9 points PPR 

Chubb was a large reason the Browns managed to win their third game of the season, rushing 20 times for 176 yards and touchdown while also catching three passes for 33 yards and another touchdown. Chubb broke 200 scrimmage yards for the first time in his career and his two touchdowns matched his career high. While Christian McCaffery and Ezekiel Elliott may have scored more points in PPR leagues, Chubb beat everyone, including David Johnson, in standard leagues. 

Ever since Chubb took over the workhorse role for the Cleveland Browns, he has been one of the best running backs in fantasy football. Over the past four weeks, Chubb is averaging over twenty touches and 100 yards per game and has reached the end zone four times. While he does not usually have much value in the passing game due to the presence of Duke Johnson Jr., his now obvious workhorse role makes him a solid RB2 going forward. 

Honorable Mentions: Christian McCaffrey, Ezekiel Elliott 

Wide receiver Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs: 25 points standard, 32.7 points PPR 

Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill takes control of the end zone television camera after scoring a touchdown on a pass from quarterback Patrick Mahomes in the second quarter of an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals Sunday, Nov. 11, 2018 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.(John Sleezer /The Kansas City Star via AP)

While running backs may have dominated the week, there were certainly some wide receivers who also shined. The best of the bunch was Tyreek Hill, who, once again, returns to this list after a huge game. Hill caught seven passes for 117 yards and two touchdowns en route to his third-best fantasy performance of the season. 

Hill is the No.1 ranked wide receiver is standard leagues and the No.2 ranked wide receiver in PPR leagues. While he is largely big play dependent, when he goes big, he goes really big. This is the third time this season he has had at least 25 fantasy points and he is the only WR who has done that in both standard and PPR leagues. While yes, he will have some bad games, his upside is too good not to start. 

Honorable Mentions: Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas 

Tight end Zach Ertz, Philadelphia Eagles: 26 points standard, 40.5 points PPR 

Zach Ertz has been one of the few tight ends this season fantasy owners can count on week to week. Sunday night against the Cowboys Ertz exploded, catching 14 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns. While the Eagles may have lost the game and dropped to 4-5 on the season, Ertz was one of the few bright spots. 

As I mentioned last week in regard to Travis Kelce, the tight end position is so thin that having one as consistent as Ertz cannot be undervalued. While the Eagles may be experiencing some Super Bowl hangover this season, Ertz sure isn’t. Currently the No.1 ranked TE in PPR leagues and No.2 TE in standard leagues, Ertz needs to be started every week no matter what the matchup is. 

Honorable Mentions: Eric Ebron, Austin Hooper 

Dishonorable Mention: Defenses 

Multiple defenses got rocked this week and a whopping six teams ended up in the negative. The worst in terms of points was the Bengals who let up 51 points to the New Orleans Saints, equaling minus 11 fantasy points. However, the worst performance in terms of pure shame came from the New York Jets, who gave up 41 points (minus seven fantasy points) to Matt Barkley and the Buffalo Bills. While the Bengals got burned by a future Hall-of-Fame quarterback, the Jets got burned by someone who hasn’t taken an NFL snap since New Year’s Day 2017. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.