HomeSportsWomen’s Hockey: UConn set to take on BC in home-and-home series

Women’s Hockey: UConn set to take on BC in home-and-home series

UConn’s Danielle Fox battle for the puck during a game against Maine on Nov. 10, 2018. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

The No. 4 ranked team in the nation, the Boston College Eagles, is coming to Storrs to face off with the UConn women’s hockey team on Friday night. As if that wasn’t enough, the Huskies (6-5-1, 3-4-1 Hockey East) then have to travel up to Chestnut Hill on Saturday afternoon to play the Eagles (8-3, 5-1 Hockey East) again at their place.

Friday’s game will be at 6 p.m. at the Freitas Ice Forum, while Saturday’s game will begin at 2 p.m. at the Conte Forum.

UConn is coming off an important 4-1 win over the Maine Black Bears last Saturday. They will be looking to win back-to-back games for the first time since they started the season 3-0.

BC is coming off their first loss in over a month, a 4-2 defeat by the Providence Friars on Nov. 3. That was their first conference loss of the season, but it didn’t stop them from moving up one spot in the national rankings.

The Huskies and the Eagles just recently met two weeks ago in a game that BC won 3-0. In that game, BC dominated in possession time and they led in shots 35-19.

Despite the loss, goalie Morgan Fisher played one of her best games of the season, recording 32 saves. She has played exceptionally in net since then as well, putting up another 32-save performance in the victory over Maine last weekend. She is now ranked 18th in the country with a .930 save percentage.

BC’s freshman goalie Maddy McArthur is outstanding as well. She is ranked 10th in the country with a .941 save percentage, and she is a major reason why the Eagles only allow 1.5 goals per game.

Skaters to look out for in this matchup are UConn’s Catherine Crawley and BC’s Daryl Watts. Crawley leads the Huskies with 13 points and is coming off a game where she had a goal and two assists. Watts leads the Eagles with 8 goals and 13 points and is coming off her first multi-goal game of the season.

The upcoming two-game, home-and-home series will be entertaining to say the least, and it could have some serious implications on the Hockey East standings.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.