UConn in the NBA: Andre Drummond continues hot start to the season

0
1
exc-5c05e8fb89858331c6cd465f

Detroit Pistons center and former UConn player Andre Drummond (0) shoots as Golden State Warriors forward Kevon Looney (5) defends during a game on Saturday, Dec. 1 in Detroit. (Carlos Osorio/AP)

With basketball season in full swing, we are starting to get a clearer idea of which teams are dominating and which ones have room for improvement. Some former Huskies have been making names for themselves in the NBA.

Kemba Walker

With the Charlotte Hornets at 11-12, they place seventh in the Eastern Conference, just behind the Boston Celtics. Over the last 10 games, Walker has averaged 24.7 points per game, which is well above his career average of 19 points per game. He’s been on fire this season scoring way over 20 points in the last few games, including his career high of 60 points against the Philadelphia 76ers a few weeks ago. The Hornets are back in action Dec. 5 against the Timberwolves in Minneapolis.

Rudy Gay

Although the San Antonio Spurs sit in 12th place in the Western Conference, Gay put up a strong performance in the Spurs’ last overtime win against the Portland Trail Blazers, going 4-of-4 on 3-point field goal attempts, scoring 18 points. This season, he has averaged 13 points per game and his last outing was easily his best scoring night in the last six games.

Andre Drummond

The Detroit Pistons have won their last five games, putting them fourth in the Eastern Conference with a record of 13-7. Drummond’s points per game average is 18.3 over the last 10 games and he is doing better than his career average of 13.8 points per game. He continues to be a tough defender, collecting an average of 16.4 rebounds per game. Drummond and teammate Blake Griffin make a dynamic duo and scored 39 points combined in their Nov. 30 win over the Chicago Bulls.

Shabazz Napier

Napier and the Brooklyn Nets have struggled to get a win in the last five games, but he has scored double digits in three of those five games. With an average of 8.2 points per game in the last 10, he equaled his average in the last game with eight points against the Washington Wizards on Dec. 1. He is continuing to get more playing time as the season progresses and played 25 minutes in the previous game. The Nets have a record of 8-16, putting them 11th in the Eastern Conference.

Julia Dowd is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.dowd@uconn.edu.