Top Husky performances over the weekend

0
4

The Huskies take home another win against ECU 76-52, with Josh Carlton (25) leading the team with 20 points and 16 rebounds. Their next home game is on 2/14 against University of Houston. (Photto by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Another weekend, another strong outing for the UConn Huskies. Check out who excelled over the weekend.

Obi Melinfonwu, New England Patriots

The one-time UConn defensive back and NFL Combine killer did not play in the New England Patriots’ 13-3 Super Bowl victory, but was a team member nonetheless. The pride of Grafton, Massachusetts was signed by the Pats for their stretch run, and while he racked up several inactives, he did dress and play in their AFC Championship win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Melinfonwu has had an inauspicious start to his career, but now is a champion with a ring. Always good for a former Husky.

Napheesa Collier, Women’s Basketball

Collier entered an elite club over the weekend as she crossed the 2,000-point threshold in the Huskies’ 65-55 win at Cincinnati. It was part of a strong outing overall as she scored 20 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and topped it off with three steals while going 8-for-14 from the field. While the Huskies took a tough loss to a strong Louisville team earlier in the week, it wasn’t because Collier didn’t produce. She went 9-for-16, scored 20 points, had six assists and grabbed eight rebounds. The 1-1 week isn’t what she or UConn had hoped for, but her output is what kept UConn competitive in both contests.

Josh Carlton, Men’s Basketball

Josh Carlton, All-Conference member? Sounds plausible to me at this point. In their first game of the week, a Thursday night showdown against UCF, Carlton only scored four points and got dunked on. However, he was going against the behemoth that is Tacko Fall, yet still grabbed 11 rebounds and had two blocks as well. On Sunday, when the Huskies hosted ECU at the XL Center, Carlton really went to work. He showed great touch and footwork and was a hound on the glass. The fruit of his labor was 20 points, 16 rebounds and three blocks.

Morgan Fisher, Women’s Hockey

Unfortunately, it was an 0-2 weekend for the Huskies in Hockey East play, and a low scoring one at that. The Huskies fell to Northeastern 2-1 at home on Friday night and 3-1 on Saturday afternoon at Providence. While the Huskies got a diverse scoring production, Morgan Fisher was strong in net all weekend. She made 30 saves against Northeastern, including 13 in the third period (while at the other end UConn only forced two). She made 20 saves against Providence, highlighted by 10 in the first, and allowed only two goals.

Ruslan Ishakhov, Men’s Hockey

It was an ugly week for the Ice Bus as they fell to Sacred Heart (again) on Tuesday, 2-1, and Boston College 5-3 on Friday. To make matters worth, both games were at home. Ishakhov, an uber talented freshman, didn’t let it dim his output. He was off the scoresheet against the Pioneers, but against BC he came to play. He scored goals at 8:40 of the second period and 1:06 of the third, then assisted on Wyatt Newpower’s power play goal at 6:14 which cut it to a one goal game. It wasn’t enough, but it was still quite a lot.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.