“MOMIX:” You have to see it to believe it

0
1
exc-5c5bbfd2fa0d606d797913a9

The contemporary dance group Momix performs in Jorgensen on Wednesday night. It was the group’s eleventh time performing at UConn. (Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus)

Students and families alike flocked to Jorgensen on Wednesday night to watch Connecticut-based dance company MOMIX. The company has been performing for 40 years and has garnered a worldwide following with its work.

Audience members were introduced to “Viva MOMIX,” a collection of their work spanning all of the company’s shows. It was apparent from the beginning that the music would be responsible for much of the vivid imagery. Not only this, but the lighting and choice of costumes would greatly impact the performances.

The second performance of the night, “TUU,” boggled audiences with the use of one dancer wrapped around another for most of their time on stage. Their two bodies became one as limbs would extend and retract in way that was symbiotic. The movement was fluid, almost spiritual; it was even reminiscent of mythology.

Props were incorporated into the choreography of the performances smoothly and were often used as extensions of the dancers, rather than a simple set piece or tool. The props, costumes and lighting effects often helped with adding to the illusions on stage, especially in “Marigolds” and “Baths of Caracalla.” In “Marigolds,” the dancers appeared on stage in what seemed like giant orange balls of fluff. As the performance continued, it was revealed that this was apart of the costumes and allowed the dancers to create beautiful visuals on stage.

In “Daddy Long Leg,” the dancers were dressed up like cowboys but had a stilt on their right feet which made way for comedic effect and allowed them to maneuver the stage in a unique way. Other performances made use of lighting and projections onto the stage which made it seem like the stage was moving.

Some performances were simple, like “Brainwave,” which only used a strand of rope under a blacklight as people offstage would jerk the rope to create transverse waves. Meanwhile, other performances required a lot of physical effort, like “Table Talk,” where the dancer’s performance was based around a single table in the center of the stage.

The show ended with a comedic performance aptly named “If You Need Some Body” which had the whole cast dancing with mannequins and going as far as throwing them across stage or bringing them to life through simple, yet quirky, mannerisms.

By dazzling the audience with a mix of dance and illusion, MOMIX reinvents dancing and utilizes the human body, shadow and light to deliver a beautiful performance to be remembered.

Brandon Barzola is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.