Men’s Tennis: UConn set to face Sacred Heart and Hofstra this weekend

0
1

UConn Men’s Tennis. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s tennis team is staying in-state this weekend as they travel to Trumbull, CT to face Sacred Heart before heading to Manchester to challenge Hofstra. They are looking to turn the season around, as they are currently on a four-game skid including three 0-7 sweeps.

The Huskies’ (3-4) first test will be against the 0-2 Pioneers at the Tennis Club of Trumbull on Saturday. Sacred Heart lost their last matchup against Boston University 6-1, their lone win coming from senior Bryan Einstoss in the No. 6 singles match. The Pioneers also held a 4-3 lead in their No. 1 doubles match that was cut short.

UConn faced similar struggles in their last match when they lost to Kennesaw State 7-0, although some of their games came down to the wire. Sophomore No. 2 John Michael Holtmann won his first set before falling 1-6 in the second and losing 5-10 in the final set. The No. 3 doubles team of senior Justin Warren and freshman Christian Provenzano had their match tied at 6-6 before it was called off and left unfinished.

The Huskies will look to regain their winning mentality against the currently struggling Sacred Heart team.

Next up for UConn is a trip to Manchester where they are set to face the Hofstra Pride on Sunday. The Pride are 3-0 on the season and are coming off back to back wins last weekend against Bucknell and Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Hofstra’s No. 1 doubles team of sophomore Ryan Hardin and freshman Giacomo Pezzoli struggled in both matches, falling 7-6 to Bucknell before losing again 6-3 against Fairleigh Dickinson. The rest of the team has looked strong, finishing each match with a final score of 4-3 and 6-1, respectively.

It will be a tough match for the Huskies, but if they win it will certainly set the tone for the rest of the season.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.