W-2 forms, free tax assistance available to UConn community

0
21

The University of Connecticut offers free personalized tax counseling and preparation for the UConn community through its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

With tax season coming up, members of the University of Connecticut community may be wondering how, where and when to file their taxes.

All current UConn employees who worked during 2018 can download their W-2 income statements through CORE CT, according to UConn’s International Student and Scholar Services website. Employees who worked at UConn during 2018 but no longer work there will have their W-2 income statement mailed to them by the UConn Payroll Office. These former employees should verify with the UConn Payroll Office that their correct address is on file.

“If you worked at UConn in 2018, and your income is subject to the benefits of a tax treaty, you will also receive a 1042-S form from the State of Connecticut related to your tax treaty benefit,” the website says. “If you are not sure whether your income tax withholding with UConn was impacted by a tax treaty benefit, check your pay stub under the ‘Taxes’ box. If there is a row listing Fed 1042 in this box, then you should expect to receive a 1042-S on your tax treaty subject income.”

The State of Connecticut will mail 1042-S forms to employees’ addresses listed in CORE-CT after March 15, according to the website. Employees must wait until they have received both the W-2 from UConn and the 1042-S from the state of Connecticut before they can file their tax returns.

The University of Connecticut offers free personalized tax counseling and preparation for the UConn community through its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

The volunteers are junior and senior accounting majors who are certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to prepare simple Federal and Connecticut state income tax returns, according to the VITA website. The volunteers are trained to provide the highest-quality service and to be sensitive to their constituents’ needs, the website said.

Members of the UConn community who wish to utilize the free tax assistance can go to the VITA website to set up an appointment and to read what to bring to the appointment.

Jasmine Zhang, sixth-semester accounting major and VITA volunteer, said the program is offered through a class that accounting majors can take for volunteer experience.

Zhang said she has not counseled someone on their taxes yet, but said her first preparation night for the class is next Monday.

“We help people prepare their income tax return,” Zhang said. “It’s a practical experience.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.