Women’s Basketball: Huskies heading on two-game trip

0
13

The women’s basketball team defeated Memphis 102 to 45 in the XL Center Wednesday night. Katie Lou Samuelson led the team with 32 points and Napheesa Collier followed with 22 points. Their next game is Saturday at 1 p.m. against Houston in Gampel Pavilion. (Photo by Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The No. 3 UConn women’s basketball team will head to Oklahoma on Sunday for their first matchup against conference foe Tulsa.

The last time the Huskies and Hurricanes met was in January of last season when UConn defeated Tulsa 78-60. Despite the win, head coach Geno Auriemma called his teams’ effort that night one of the most disgraceful he had seen in his then 32 years of coaching in Connecticut.

The Husky squad is coming off a 102-45 victory against Memphis in their last game at the XL Center on Wednesday night. Senior Katie Lou Samuelson scored a season-high 32 points in the win.
“I’ve been shooting so much my whole life that it’s kind of just second nature to me,” Samuelson said after the win. “I felt really good in practice. I felt really good in shoot around today. I’m going to continue to shoot if teams do give me three’s like I was getting tonight.”

The Hurricanes are looking to bounce back after a 47-74 loss to Cincinnati on Wednesday night. Senior Crystal Polk leads the way for Tulsa in points-per-game with 13.8. Tulsa is coached by Matilda Mossman who is in her eighth season with the squad.

So far this season Tulsa is 11-14 and 5-7 in conference play.

Sunday’s matchup against Tulsa starts a two-game trip for the Huskies who will also play Wichita State on Tuesday night. Three of the Huskies final four regular-season games are away. UConn’s final home game will be on Saturday, March 2nd in Gampel Pavilion and will honor Samuelson and fellow senior Napheesa Collier.

UConn is 24-2 on the season and 12-0 in conference play.

Sunday’s game against Tulsa starts at 3 p.m. and will be broadcast on ESPN3 and SNY.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.