Women’s lacrosse continue to seek first win

0
4

Huskies drop their home opener 13-12 and are still looking for their first win.Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

UConn women’s lacrosse fell short of a win in its home opener against the University of New Hampshire Wildcats 13-12. The Huskies battled until the finish, led by Sydney Watson.

“The team has been on an up and down so far. We all have things we can work on to improve together,” Watson said. “We believe we just need to work harder for each other and with each other. Starting at practice going 110 percent to make each player better. We are staying positive and believe we have a lot more to give and show. It starts with us and ends with us. We don’t like how it’s been going so far and we want to change it, one possession and game at a time.”

With a record of 0-4, UConn is reliant on Watson to make plays happen for the team, which she expressed puts a bit of pressure on her at times. Watson explained, “I handle it knowing we are all in a situation together, we all count on each other and believe in one another.”

In each of the four games that the Huskies have played thus far, Watson has been the first player on UConn’s roster to put points on the board. It wasn’t a surprise that Watson put the first points on the board, for either team, at 29:24.

While Watson managed to end the game with three points of her own, she added two assists to the stats sheet, assisting her teammate Olivia Miles to her first point of the game and Sam McKenna to her second point. McKenna added two assists of her own t, in addition to scoring off of the assists of Lexi Kenneally and Watson.

Watson has proved to be a key player for the Huskies and said she believes the whole team is needed to be successful. “I think the entire team is key for us to win. We win together, but I always look at Grace Beshlian in the cage for us. She’s a leader and helps us in any way she can. Also, Olivia Miles, Cait Leary, and Lexi Kenneally on attack, as well as Alyssa Conklin on defense. I don’t think there’s any one player, that is the person to always look for. Our entire team has things we are great at and we bring them all together to form a great team,” Watson said.

Senior Lexi Kenneally, as mentioned, had a solid second half adding one point and two assists.

Moving forward with their season, the Huskies will focus on having positive mindsets, despite their record and circumstances. Realizing their potential, as a team, is something that Watson mentioned is necessary to the team’s growth.

“We all as a team expected and wanted better,” Watson said. “We all know we can play better as a whole, it’s about finding the ways to get where we know we can be when we are on the field. We prepare for games like this and just need to bring it out onto the field on game day just like we would in practice.”

The Huskies will be heading to Amherst, Massachusetts next and look to bring home their first win.

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.