41 F
Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeLifeThe Boys Are Back: I’m a ‘Sucker’ for the Jonas Brothers’ new...

The Boys Are Back: I’m a ‘Sucker’ for the Jonas Brothers’ new single

Unless you haven’t left your dorm at all since Thursday, you’ve probably heard the news that’s been shocking every 20-year-old who grew up with boy band fever: The Jonas Brothers are back, and they released a brand new single, “Sucker,” with an accompanying music video this past Friday.

The Jonas Brothers broke up in 2013, canceling their tour midway through and also canceling the release of their next album, “V.” Nick went off on his solo career, Joe joined the band “DNCE” and Kevin went on living his married life, raising two beautiful kids. The Jonas Brothers were over, or at least we all thought.

In January of 2018, the Jonas Brothers social media accounts were reactivated, spawning rumors of a reunion that ultimately led nowhere. The accounts lay blank and dormant until now, when the three brothers suddenly appeared out of nowhere and announced they’d be dropping a new single. And yes, the three brothers. Because Frankie Jonas once again has to watch his three older brothers make a boyband without him. He has a passion for music too, so if he isn’t featured on a song in this upcoming album, I might just scream.

The new single is actually really good. It’s nice to hear their new sound now that they’ve left their Disney days behind them and can write about whatever they want. Disney regulated what they could sing about and when they could shave. That and their promise rings led to an overly clean image. When they released a few singles in 2013, they went overboard with their newfound freedom, which can be seen in their old single “Pom Poms.” They’ve definitely calmed down a bit and found a new sound after pursuing their own solo interests.

You can hear the individual sounds that both Nick and Joe found with their solo works, but they combined them seamlessly into the song while maintaining the same Jonas Brothers vibe that fans grew up loving. The lyrics aren’t too out-there either. “Sucker” is essentially a more mature version of what they used to write.

The lines “You say the word and I’ll go anywhere blindly / I’m a sucker for you / Any road you take, you know that you’ll find me” just sound like a prediction of me inevitably following the Jonas Brothers on tour.

The music video is adorable. It features each brother and their significant other dressed as a queen. It gives off some “Alice in Wonderland” vibes and is adorable and pure. You can tell they had a lot of fun filming it.

The nostalgia factor is real with this one. Kids who grew up fangirling over the Jonas Brothers are now walking in the clouds because of this release. The single is good, which means the Jonas Brothers essentially came back from the grave to give us new music.

From a marketing standpoint, choosing to come back now is genius. One Direction is still on hiatus, and the Jonas Brothers gladly stepped up to fill that void and save us all. They’d all clearly accomplished what they wanted to; they escaped Disney’s grip and went off and started families. Kevin and Nick got married and Joe got engaged.

Also, an important note: In the iconic song “Year 3000,” the Jonas Brothers proudly proclaimed “Everybody bought our seventh album / It had outsold Kelly Clarkson.” If you count “It’s About Time,” “Jonas Brothers,” “A Little Bit Longer,” their live concert album, “Lines, Vines, and Trying Times” and their “Jonas L.A.” album, then we are currently at six complete albums, excluding the remains of their canceled “V” that was released only to fan club members. This upcoming album may just be this prophecied album they spoke of back in 2006. Just saying.

So, yes. To the Jonas Brothers, I am “Still In Love With You.” At first, I was a bit “Paranoid” that this reunion was fake, but I’m feeling “Much Better” now that I’ve heard the new single. I’m still a “Sucker” for this band and hopefully will only have to wait “A Little Bit Longer” for this new album. Until then, I guess I’ll just have to “Hold On.”

Rating: 5/5

Courtney Gavitt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.