This Week in History: 3/4/19-3/8/19

0
1
exc-5c7c73d47817f77ad943a632

On March 4, 1925, President Calvin Coolidge delivered his second inaugural address to begin his second and only full term in office as president. (Public Domain/Wikimedia Commons)

This week in history we will see the anniversary of several important events that helped shape the world we live in. Here is quick rundown:

On March 4, 1925, President Calvin Coolidge delivered his second inaugural address to begin his second and only full term in office as president. He had assumed the office initially in 1923 when President Warren G. Harding died suddenly of a heart attack. Coolidge’s second inaugural speech is important because it was the first in American history to be broadcasted over national radio. This would mark a huge turning point in history, as more and more Americans were able to listen to the President swear the oath of office.

On March 5, 1770, eight British soldiers fired into a crowd in Boston, Massachusetts, killing three people immediately and another two that would die later from their wounds. The soldiers and their commanding officer were provoked by the unruly mob of colonials who were upset at the British military presence in their city. The crowd and soldiers were prevented from spilling more blood when the acting governor promised to hold an investigation into the event. Eventually, eight soldiers, one officer and four civilians were accused and tried for murder. The British soldiers had difficulty finding a lawyer who would defend their case, until a prominent Boston citizen named John Adams came to their aid. Six of the soldiers were acquitted of all charges and only two were charged with manslaughter. After his impressive defense, Adams would go on to be an important figure in the forming of the United States and our second President. This incident, better known as the Boston Massacre, would only heighten tensions between the British and colonists prior to the Revolutionary War.

On March, 6, 1836, the 13-day siege of the Alamo came to an end when Mexican forces attacked and breached the Alamo missionary defended by American militia in San Antonio, Texas. This battle took place during the Texas Revolution where American colonists and Tejanos started an armed resistance to secede from Mexico. The Alamo was commanded by the young Army officer William Travis and famed outdoorsman Jim Bowie, and in their company was also the legendary adventurer and statesmen Davy Crockett. The Alamo was defended by a few hundred men, while the Mexican army numbered over a thousand soldiers. The attacking army was led by a general named Santa Anna, who considered himself the “Napoleon of the West.” Santa Anna wanted to capture the Alamo quickly and put down any further revolution in the territory. Unfortunately for him, the defenders of the Alamo held out for nearly two weeks until they were overcome by one giant attack in the early hours of March 6. Nearly every defender was killed in the attack, which only inspired the members of the Texas Rebellion further. After the battle, Texan General Sam Houston led Santa Anna’s army on a wild chase for several weeks until turning and confronting them at the battle of San Jacinto. The Mexican forces were caught off guard and were defeated soundly in a reported 18 minutes. The Texan soldiers could be heard crying “Remember the Alamo” during the attack. After his capture Santa Anna was forced to sign over the territory of Texas and lead his remaining forces back to Mexico. This would pave the way for Texas to become the 28th state in 1845, with the city of Austin as its capital.

Seamus McKeever is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at seamus.mckeever@uconn.edu.