HomeSportsHuskies head back home to face Albany

Huskies head back home to face Albany

The Huskies lost to the UNH Wildcats 12-13. Their next home game is on 3/13 against University of Albany. (Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse have yet to add a win to their record as they prepare to face the University of Albany. The Huskies will be playing on their home field at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex for the second time this season in their attempt to turn their 0-5 record to 1-5.

With Albany’s 3-2 record, they seek to add yet another win, with the help of juniors Madison Conway and Sam Tortora, who were their most recent game leaders. The Great Danes will attempt to revive themselves from their two point loss against No. 19 Penn State as they prepare to face the unranked Huskies. Their losses of the season, so far were sacrificed to the only two ranked opponents on their schedule. The Great Danes are sure to bring a fight to Storrs because they haven’t lost a battle by any more than three points.

The Great Danes were ahead in their most recent match up against Penn State in the first half of the game 6-3, but fell to the Lions by giving up eight points to their three in the second half. In short, the Great Danes are sure to start strong, but it will be a battle as to who will finish on top.

As the Huskies went about a week without having a game, they’ve had plenty of time to practice and prepare for their battle against the Great Danes. In order for the Huskies to experience success in this match up, they must start strong and finish the same way.

“I think we need to play better as a team on both sides of the ball as well as improve our composure with the ball. We have a handful of players that have experience and can be strong leaders for us. I think that Brooke Jensen, Alyssa Conklin and Anna Costello have been strong on field leaders so far,” said the Huskies head coach Katie Woods.

Woods is relying on her upperclassmen to lead this team in a path for success. Jensen and Costello are both senior midfielders on the Huskies roster, so their time on the field as Huskies is running short and they want nothing more than to get a win. Costello’s impact on the field is one that can’t be overlooked. If she isn’t scoring, she’s getting assists and finding ways for her teammates to prosper on the boards.

“Our focus is to take care of the little things, support each other all over the field, manage our time of possession, and play strong team defense,” Woods explained when describing what the Huskies must do in order to come on the field strong.

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu