Women’s Lacrosse enters conference play

0
7

The UConn Women’s Lacrosse beat Bryant University 15 – 8 Tuesday night in the Sherman Family Sports Complex. The Huskies were able to quickly capitalize on Bryant’s mistakes and effectively generate opportunities; UConn consequently controlled the game. (Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse team will begin conference play against Cincinnati Saturday. The Huskies game against the Bearcats will open up conference play for the AAC, being the first game played this season. As this is both teams first season in the American Athletic Conference, this is not their first time playing against one another, yet this game will be the first impression they will make within conference play.

At the start of the season, the Huskies placed third in the preseason poll, and were given the opportunity to have three players named to the preseason conference team, which included Caitlin Leary, Olivia Miles and Sydney Watson.

Lia LePrise has played a large role on this team, specifically in the past two games. So if she is able to keep up that intensity alongside her teammates, the Huskies have a shot at leaving Gettler Stadium with a win.

“Cincinnati’s had a really good year. They’re putting a ton of points up, so we gotta make sure we’re closing up things defensively, working on our offensive game plan and continuing to push and challenge,” Huskies head coach Katie Woods said.

The Bearcats have had a tough schedule so far,in which they have played two ranked opponents, Michigan and Virginia Tech. With both teams coming off of a win, either the Bearcats’ two game win streak will come to an end or the Huskies will lose the opportunity to start one of their own.

This past week, the Bearcats have had three players recognized by the AAC: Monica Borzillo, Kylie Nause and Alyssa Adams. With Monica Borzillo being named attacker of the week, she will be a sight to see matched up against UConn senior Caitlin Leary.

The Huskies look to start conference play as they did 10 years ago in 2009 handing Cincinnati a loss. 2009 was Cincinnati’s first year in the Big East, which UConn was already a part of prior, and UConn came out as the victor.

The Huskies are 0-4 on the road and they look to change that on Saturday as they head to Cincinnati.

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu