Women’s Lacrosse: Senior Night awaits for the Huskies

0
12

The Huskies took a tough loss against Temple on Saturday with a final score 13-17. They look to bounce back in their next home game on 4/20 against University of Florida. (Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Women’s lacrosse seniors will be saying their final goodbye to the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex as they prepare to face the University of Florida Gators. The Gators (9-6, 3-0 The American) are undefeated in conference matchups and are sure to give the Huskies (2-13, 0-3 The American) a challenge in their final battle on their home field this season which will take place on Saturday at noon. 

The Family Sports Complex will be filled with emotions from the seniors on the Huskies’ roster to the families in the stands. This group of seniors have yet to experience a single victory against the Gators, which the Huskies experienced the year before their freshman season but never again, so they seek that feeling of victory for themselves and for the team. As of 2015, the Huskies have gone 1-4 to the Gators, in which they won the first matchup and lost thereafter. The Huskies are 1-1 in this matchup on their home field, so it is sure to be eventful. 

All seven seniors will be acknowledged for their accomplishments over the course of their careers at UConn. Caitlin Leary and Anna Costello, may not have started their careers with many contributions, but they surely ended that way. This season alone, Leary has started 14 of their 15 games played and appeared to be big on the offensive end with a season percentage of 0.672 on the goal. Leary contributed 25 of her own points throughout the season, but is responsible for 27 of the team’s points.  

Every senior has contributed to the team in a different way. Thirty-seven of the draw controls that the Huskies have obtained are due to Costello’s drive to win, while Brooke Jensen works a different aspect of the game finding others to score or doing so herself with 10 goals and three assists on the season. Though players like Olivia Eigel don’t experience much of the field, it was fun seeing her in the seven games she was able to touch the field. Moving on, Lexi Kenneally has been another key component to the Huskies’ success. Kenneally may not be like Costello in the sense that she wins draw controls, but she helps her team get the job done on both ends of the field, contributing to 21 of the team’s points over the course of the season. 

While Dani Dunn has started a mere two games this season, she finds every way possible to contribute to her team once she steps foot on the field. Kiera Dalmass is close to the perfect defensive example that a coach can ask for, which is why she’s started every game this season. Dalmass may not have directly contributed to points, but without her 18 ground balls and defensive pressure offense would have its difficulties to come by. 

With the departure of these seniors comes the search for which underclassmen will fill their roles when they depart. Each player is different and these seniors can’t be replaced, due to the individuality they bring. They have led their team through everything, despite their record and are sure to continue to do so until their last game against East Carolina. 

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu