Empty shelves in library due to planned construction

0
0
exc-5cbe6901eef1a124448667b2

Basement (B) level of Homer Babbidge Library has some empty bookshelves due to shifting collections to accommodate planned construction. (file photo/The Daily Campus)

Students at the University of Connecticut studying on the Basement (B) level of Homer Babbidge Library noticed empty bookshelves around them due to shifting collections to accommodate planned construction.

“In the move, the federal documents collection has been spread out over significantly more shelves on level B than in the past, so that space may look different visually,” Steve Batt, Research and Instruction librarian said. “The Connecticut and Federal Documents collections are being moved to roughly where the last half of the Dewey collection had been housed on B.”

The Dewey materials are being reclassified into the Library of Congress system with the rest of the library, and the Reference Census materials remain part of the print collection, as much historical data in this content area has not been made available online, Batt said.

“There are no immediate plans to move or weed the microfiche collections for government documents,” Batt said. “As the understanding at this time is that any construction will not affect that study area.”

Out of date signage on the floor is planned to be removed during the construction set to take place in the library this summer. Major renovations to B level and the plaza level have been deferred, but minor construction will occur this summer.

Ashley Anglisano is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.