41 F
Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeNewsUConn student arrested for punching frat brother, breaking his jaw

UConn student arrested for punching frat brother, breaking his jaw

A University of Connecticut student has been charged with assault after he punched a fellow fraternity brother at an off-campus party on April 13. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

A University of Connecticut student has been charged with assault after he punched a fellow fraternity brother at an off-campus party on April 13, according to the Mansfield-Storrs Patch.

21-year-old Shivam Mukherjee from Long Island, NY, is facing third and fourth-degree assault charges and disorderly conduct, according to the article. Mukherjee faces a $25,000 bond. 

The party, which is described in the police report as a “pub crawl” that ended at 208 North Eagleville Road in Mansfield, was broken up in the late afternoon. A warrant was then issued for Mukherjee after he sucker-punched another male, breaking his jaw in two places.

The other student was identified by the Journal Inquirer as Brian Patterson, a fellow student at the university. Patterson was moved to Hartford Hospital for a four-hour surgery on his jaw, the article said. 

UConn Police, in conjunction with Connecticut State Police, apprehended Mukherjee at the Torrey Life Sciences Building in the early afternoon hours of April 18, according to the police report.

Upon arresting Mukherjee, police found numerous controlled prescription pills on his property, resulting in two more counts of possession of a controlled substance, the Inquirer article said.

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.