Friday, April 26, 2024
HomeLifePost-Grad Tips

Post-Grad Tips

Searching for a job can be a daunting task, so here’s some tips to help you out post-graduation. ( Flickr creative commons )

Searching for a job can be a daunting task, so here’s some tips to help you out post-graduation. (Flickr creative commons)

College graduations are right around the corner and graduates are facing a major turning point in their lives. As soon as you graduate, you are thrown into the real world and confronted by many unknowns. With your undergraduate years behind you, you are entering an incredibly exciting time and a new phase of life. However, searching for a job can be a daunting task. Here are a few tips that can help ease your stress and set you up for success in the real world.

Your first job might not be your favorite, and that’s okay

If you don’t land your dream job right out of college, don’t panic. Even though you have career goals, it might take one, or a few, jobs to find the right path for you. If you are having trouble finding an entry level job, an internship could provide you with valuable experience and help you get your foot in the door.

Update your college resume

Focus on highlighting your undergraduate involvement and successes, and make sure that all of the information from your high school career is taken out. Employers are looking to see what you did during your undergrad and what experience you have that fits the job criteria. If you weren’t very involved in college, discuss your best selling points such as leadership skills and any awards/achievements that you received.

Clean up your social media

Social media has begun to consume our society and employers will, without a doubt, look you up on Facebook, Instagram and other popular social media outlets. Make sure to review your online presence and either delete photos that could prevent you from being hired or make your accounts private.

Learn from your mistakes

Don’t be afraid to make mistakes! Mistakes are great learning experiences that can help you succeed in the future. Your mistakes will make you better and will allow you to move forward in your career. Being able to move forward with the wisdom you learned from past mistakes shows employers and fellow employees that you are flexible.

Be patient

The “real world” is full of ups and downs and even though it might seem like things aren’t always going your way, be persistent. Patience is key and is a life skill that is crucial to success. Many entry level jobs will not live up to your expectations, and instead will test your patience. As long as you work hard and prove that you deserve more responsibilities, good things will come your way.

Make connections

Making connections is crucial and can be a big help when trying to find a job. Look into your college’s alumni and career services to get assistance in the job search. UConn has the Office of Alumni Relations and the UConn Foundation, which both allow graduates to maintain a connection to the university.

College graduation can be a scary time that is filled with unknowns and navigating a new work environment can be a tricky task. These tips can help set you up for success and will allow you to succeed in any job that you get.

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.