Roundtable: Reflections on freshman year 

0
11

As the 2019 fall semester begins, a few life writers reminisce on memories from their freshman year.  Photo by    Stanley Morales    from    Pexels

As the 2019 fall semester begins, a few life writers reminisce on memories from their freshman year. Photo by Stanley Morales from Pexels

Melissa Scrivani, Associate Life Editor:

As an incoming senior, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on all of the crazy things that have happened to me during my time at UConn. One story in particular that sticks out to me happened my first semester freshman year. It was a Friday night around 3 a.m. and I was fast asleep in my lofted bed in Towers. I woke up to rustling sounds beneath me and was immediately freaked out. I peeked over the railing on the side of my bed and saw a girl moving my desk chair across my room. I called down to her asking who she was and she, clearly very intoxicated, replied that her name was Gabby. She clearly was not any Gabby that I knew so at this point I was just very confused, and before I knew it she was climbing onto my bed and laying down next to me. Losing my mind, I tried to explain that I did not know her and she was in the wrong room, but she insisted that my name was Megan and that she knew me and would be sleeping in my bed. I practically had to push her off my bed and drag her out of my room. I tried to help her look for any room on my floor with someone named Megan, but there wasn’t a single Megan on my floor. When we reached the last door in the hallway she tried to open it and it was unlocked and dark inside. It was definitely the wrong room, but she started going inside and I took the opportunity to run away as fast as I could. I never saw or heard from Gabby again. After investigating a few days later I found out that there was a Megan in my building, only she was the floor above me. To this day I always double check the lock on my door before going to bed. 

Brandon Barzola, Staff Writer:

Photo by    Trent Erwin    on    Unsplash

Photo by Trent Erwin on Unsplash

One of my favorite memories from freshman year was spring break. At first, I didn’t have any plans. After a crazy turn of events I found myself flying to California with a group of friends and we were on our way to Yosemite National Park.  We rented an iconic sky blue Jeep Wrangler that took us from the airport, to the park, to the Golden Gate Bridge and back. While most of the park was still recovering from the harsh winter, we still had fun exploring the valley and taking photos there. Each day entailed lots of hiking, but I managed to push past my exhaustion and in the end it was worth it. Even though we hiked some of the easier trails or had to drive for most of our sightseeing, the vistas were amazing and something I’ll never forget. The pictures we took were stunning and even reminiscent of a Macbook’s default background, but there’s nothing like experiencing Yosemite in person. The lowest temperatures at Yosemite were about 50 to 60 degrees and it was refreshing from California’s usual hot weather. By using Airbnb, we stayed in a beautiful little red house in the quiet town of Mariposa which was only about an hour and 30 minute drive away from the park itself. The entire trip was a lesson in budgeting and living as cheaply as possible. I’ll always cherish my memories from Yosemite and if the same people ever need me to go along with them for another adventure, I’d say yes in a heartbeat. 

Cindy Lam, Campus Correspondent:

Photo by    Levi Guzman    on    Unsplash

Photo by Levi Guzman on Unsplash

Freshmen year flew by faster than I expected. Though I’ve experienced many great things in the last six months, nothing beats my favorite memory, SUBOG’s Block Party. There isn’t a better way to start the school year than to throw a party where the student body can get together to have before the workload kicks in. I remember music blasting from the Student Union terrace and waves of students covering the lawn. There were inflatable obstacle courses, Stuff a Husky and other activities where students could get free things. White Panda, an EDM artist, put on a show that had students dancing and jumping. The smoke and lights shining in the sky made it feel like I was at an electronic music festival. I had a blast and left the block party with a bag full of UConn merch. I was nervous about going into freshman year because I didn’t know what to expect. But during the first weekend, I learned how close the community is here. Gradually throughout the semester, I became comfortable with making new friends and felt less alone on this big campus where I only knew a few people.  

Calista Giroux, Campus Correspondent:

Photo by    Philippe Bout    on    Unsplash

Photo by Philippe Bout on Unsplash

My most embarrassing moment from my freshman year was a day when I had huge break before an afternoon class and decided to take a nap. I thought I set my alarm to give myself enough time to walk to the class, but when I woke up I realized I set the wrong time and had less than five minutes before class started. So I took off into a half-run through campus. While running I tripped, and was helped up by a concerned junior. He asked me if I was alright and in reply I gave him an unintelligible answer before finishing my trek to the building. I fast walked my way to the classroom and stumbled in, only to find I walked in on a professor that was not my own, in the middle of giving a lecture to a class of almost 30 students. Everyone was staring at me, so I ran out and found my actual class. I stood outside of the classroom for a second to make sure I was walking into the right room and stepped in. I got some very weird looks that day, but I somehow made it to class on time and now I always check to make sure I set my alarm correctly.