Lifestyle tips for your next four years 

0
4

The key to life that will be embedded in your brain, whether you like it or not, is time management.  Photo by    Sharon McCutcheon    on    Unsplash

The key to life that will be embedded in your brain, whether you like it or not, is time management. Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash

Congrats! You’ve made it to college. Here you’ll experience some of the best moments of your life… and maybe some of the lowest. But don’t worry, The Daily Campus is here to help you through this new journey called “college.” 

Off the bat, you should know that your biggest take-away from college won’t be all the information you’ve gotten for your career. It won’t be studying until your eyes bleed. It won’t be having the cleanest side in your dorm room. The key to life that will be embedded in your brain, whether you like it or not, is time management.  

No one wants to hear it, but you have to prioritize your classes. Remember that you are paying tuition to attend these classes, so don’t let that money go to waste. Have financial aid or scholarships? Your professors can still count attendance as part of your grade. Consider your GPA as an investment in your future success.  

Make sure you grab at least one classmate’s contact info. It’s not awkward if you don’t overthink it. This will be clutch when you forget a due date that’s not on the syllabus or a point from the lecture. You might even make new friends! 

Utilize the extra help that the library offers. If you’ve already gone to your professor and teaching assistants, asked a friend for help and still can’t figure it out, don’t be afraid to get tutored. It’s free. The W and Q Centers help students all the time, so don’t give up!  

Make sure you set time aside in your schedule for studying. That way, you hold yourself accountable to a window of time dedicated only to your classes. I would highly encourage you to keep social media and texting to a minimum so that you’re not lost when that exam comes.  

Surround yourself with people who can bring you to your goals. Don’t befriend people who have no goals for themselves, only care about getting lit or have nothing inspiring about them. I encourage you to find people who are good at things that you aren’t and have different skills or interests,  so that you’re always motivated to be the best version of yourself.   

It’s okay to have different groups of friends. Not all of your friends have to relate to your career goals. Just make sure they have their lives together. You are who you surround yourself with, so make sure your squad is a good one. When you hang out, make sure that it’s worth the time  you won’t be spending studying.  

Don’t work hard, work smart. Right now, your main priority is graduating and doing well in your classes.  

Make sure you’re giving yourself time to unwind. Whether that means getting involved in a club or exercising or spending time with friends, it’s worth it to give your brain a break. But if you’re behind on work, don’t procrastinate. That will only cause more stress and trouble. 

Who wants memories of college that are only filled with hours of studying? Who wants to get kicked out of college from partying too much? Not me, and I know you don’t either. No matter how much I know you’d rather study in your dorm on a Friday night, there’s more to life than taking care of business. And for my partiers, having your life together is lit, too. By using this mini-guide you’ll know how to work hard, play hard and look good while doing it.  

Gabrielle Ferrell is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabrielle.ferrell@uconn.edu.