HomeLifeCampus chic 

Campus chic 

Here are some looks and trends you can try in either warmer weather or cooling temperatures.  Photo by    Lauren Fleischmann    on    Unsplash

Here are some looks and trends you can try in either warmer weather or cooling temperatures. Photo by Lauren Fleischmann on Unsplash

One of the most beloved first-day of school traditions is sporting a specially curated outfit, hand-picked the night before. Whether your motivation to stick to the latest fashions lasts a week or throughout the semester, you can at least admit that there is something fun about back-to-school styles. Here are some looks and trends you can try in either warmer weather or cooling temperatures. 

Layer it up 

An easy way to appear trendy and make the most of your closet is to layer some pieces together. A summer look that easily translates to the transitioning weather is layering a t-shirt under a thin strapped dress, either a solid shirt with a patterned dress or vice versa. Keep the outfit casual by throwing on a pair of lifestyle sneakers like high-top Converse, FILAs or Adidas, or make it more summery with a pair of wedges, espadrilles or Birkenstocks. You can achieve an edgier vibe with a pair of Doc Martens or leather boots with block heels. 

A unique way to get the most out of your summer dresses is to layer a t-shirt over them. Tie the front of your shirt in a knot for a boho-chic vibe or keep it flowy. 

If there’s a basic outfit you like wearing but don’t want to make it seem like you’re wearing the same outfit more than once in the week (don’t worry, we’ve all been there before), an easy way to do this is to layer on a statement outer piece like a jean jacket, an oversized blazer or a vintage leather jacket. Your last-minute outfit just got upgraded to effortlessly trendy. 

Mix it up 

When layering, don’t be afraid to mix-and-match patterns. There are ways to pull together a look of multiple prints without feeling like a mismatched mess. Try to wear patterns of similar color schemes, or pull one color from a pattern to pair with the other, like the red from a tartan skirt to go with the roses on a shirt. As long as you have one unifying thread throughout your look, your outfit will look complementary. 

Similarly, don’t shy away from mixing pieces from different styles that may seem like they wouldn’t normally go together, like a preppy blouse and tartan skirt with some edgy leather boots. This technique will help give you a fresh perspective on your closet. A girly, flowery dress paired with chunky-heeled sneakers or some vintage corduroy pants worn with a male-style button-up are some other fun looks. 

Keep it casual 

Ah yes, the tried and true classic: Jeans and a t-shirt. Whether you whip out this favorite on this first day or later in the week, just know that there’s nothing wrong with sticking to the basics. You can update this easy look by varying the base pieces. Instead of traditional denim or cropped skinny jeans, you can switch it up with black or a wide-leg flare jeans. Patterned pants, such as vertical stripes or gingham, also make a statement, so if you have a pair, toss that into your daily repertoire. Throw on an oversized graphic tee or simple patterned shirt in lieu of your go-to white t-shirt. A simple way to make this look trendy is to tuck your shirt into your pants. This method will make sure you don’t lose your waist and keep your silhouette sleek. 

Maybe you’d like to switch it up with your shoes: from Doc Martens to Vans to Tretorns to ankle boots, there are a wide array of staple shoes you might already own that will shine with this basic outfit, especially if they’re a fun color. Add some layered necklaces or statement earrings if you’re really feeling stylish. 

Hopefully, you’ll be motivated to put together some fun outfits for the semester. If you feel like you can’t find the time, don’t worry. We’re all college students, and we understand the struggle of balancing your schedule and priorities. As long as you’re comfortable with what you’re wearing, you’re doing great. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.