Football: Transfer quarterbacks to face-off in first starts for new schools

0
2

The UConn football team kicks off their 2019 campaign at home playing the Wagner College Seahawks, in what will be their lone matchup against an FCS opponent all season. 

Photo by Charlotte Lao

Photo by Charlotte Lao

This will be the first time Huskies fans get the chance to witness Mike Beaudry in person, as the West Florida transfer will be making the first start of his UConn and Division I career. Beaudry, who was named the starting quarterback just over two weeks ago, will be taking the reins from star quarterback David Pindell, who graduated last year. Even though he has some big shoes to fill, quarterbacks coach Mike Moyseenko has said that their starting quarterback doesn’t need to try to be the next Pindell. 

“We just need somebody to be consistently good,” Moyseenko said. “Consistently making the right decisions, consistently communicating to everybody and being very solid on that front. We need guys that will perform under pressure, and at the end of the day, when they have their turn with whatever units, are they able to move the offense or not.” 

>
We just need somebody to be consistently good – Moyseenko

Beaudry is an experienced quarterback, having led West Florida to the Division II National Championship game in 2017 before having to sit out almost all of 2018 with a foot injury. He threw for 3,215 yards, 29 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in the 14 games he played in 2017.  

Beaudry will be facing off against a Wagner defense that last season that on average gave up over 400 yards per game, about half of that total coming through the air. They gave up almost 40 points per game including 61 to Syracuse early last season, their lone FBS opponent.  

On the offensive side of the ball, they averaged about 350 yards per game, with about 200 coming through the air and 150 on the ground. Very much like UConn, they too will have a graduate transfer running their offense: Christian Alexander-Stevens from Florida International University will be their quarterback. Alexander-Stevens led FIU to a 9-4 record last season, including a 35-32 win in the Bahamas Bowl where he was named the MVP of the game.  

Kickoff will take place at approximately 7 p.m. at Rentschler Field in East Hartford. If you are a student, tickets are free, and all you will need to do is swipe your UConn ID at the gate. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu