The 1975 showcase their emo phase with ‘people’ 

0
34

British pop rock band The 1975 has gone through quite an evolution, from “Chocolate,” to “Love me” to their most recent album “A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships.” Now, on August 22, they’ve released a new single called “People”, with a shocking new music style.   

In “A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships” the band followed their trend of 80s – inspired pop that followed the album “I Like It When You Sleep, for You’re So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It.” Prior to the release of the album, The 1975 became popular based on the sad, relatable pop rock songs “Chocolate” and “Robbers.” Fast forward to August, “people” sounds like it came off of a Nirvana record.  

Not only is it one of the most drastic style changes their fans have seen, but it is the first song to showcase what is presumably the continuation of the “Music for Cars” era. When “Give Yourself A Try” was released, there was a radio interview with frontman Matty Healy where he said that this song was the start of a new “Era” that would consist of two albums, “A brief Inquiry into Online Relationships” and “Notes on a Conditional Form” later that year. Being that it’s “later that year” now, as “A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships” was released in late 2018, we can expect the new album soon. 

In a recent interview, Healy discussed the progression of The 1975 over the past few years with BBC Radio One. Healy describes the upcoming album as something that gets to the very core of himself.  

“‘Notes On The Conditional Form’ is a deconstruction of the deconstructed, so we’re getting into fabric and material and texture,” Healy said.  

“People” is filled with angst and an edgy guitar riff that repeats throughout the song. It’s shocking when you first hear it because it’s nothing their fanbase has heard from them ever before. You hear Healy scream in a majority of the vocals, which is something they’ve never done with their music style.  

Once you listen to “People” without that expectation of it being somewhere in the pop genre, the song is really catchy. It was a smart way to grab people’s attention and adjust them to this new genre. The song is nostalgic to the 90’s because it is reminiscent of bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.  

It’s no secret  that The 1975 are vocal about their political views, but this song’s lyrics in particular make a political statement. In the beginning of each verse Healy says “wake up, wake up,” as a wake up call to the general public to stop sitting around and to take political action.  

“We are appalling and we need to stop just watching sh*t in bed. And I know it sounds boring and we like things that are funny,” Healy said in the second verse. “But we need to get this in our f*cking heads! The economy’s a goner, republic’s a banana, ignore it if you wanna.” 

Healy’s vocals are grungy and angry because the song is to depict his anger and stress about the political climate both in the United Kingdom and the United States. It’s an empowering song when you look at the lyrics and melody as a whole.  

Rating: 5/5 

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.