Institutional financial aid now available for undocumented students

0
10

Undocumented students at UConn are now eligible to receive financial aid.  Photo by Julie Spillane / The Daily Campus

Undocumented students at UConn are now eligible to receive financial aid. Photo by Julie Spillane / The Daily Campus

Undocumented students at the University of Connecticut are eligible to receive institutional financial aid from the Office of Student Financial Aid Services starting this academic year. 

This comes after the Connecticut Legislature passed a state statute allowing undocumented students to apply for institutional aid in April 2018, according to the Financial Aid Services website. 

“Our office has worked with on- and off-campus partners, including CT Students for a Dream and our cultural centers, to spread the word about the institutional aid for undocumented students,” Suzanne Peters, Director of Student Financial Aid Services, said. 

The application, which has similar questions to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), shares FAFSA’s deadline of Feb. 15, 2020. The institutional aid application for undocumented students is an online form that can be found on the Office of Financial Aid Services website, Peters said. 

Aid is available to undocumented students who were 16 years old or younger when they arrived to the U.S., have continuously resided in the U.S. since arrival, were 30 years old or younger on June 15, 2012 and have not been convicted of a felony in Connecticut or another state. 

Fifth-semester accounting major Rachel Montesi said she agreed with the decision to offer institutional aid to undocumented students. 

“Most times, undocumented immigrants come here for better opportunities, so I think the fact that we’re giving them admission to our university, as well as financial aid, is definitely a good thing,” Montesi said. 

This comes as UConn honors its policy of granting equal opportunities to all students regardless of immigration status. Beginning in the spring semester of the 2018 – 2019 academic year, the university began granting aid to veterans without legal status. 

The Office of Student Financial Aid services reminds people that additional resources for undocumented students, including state-funded grants, are available and accessible via its website.  

Nicholas Martin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.r.martin@uconn.edu