Sports Analytics Conference comes to UConn 

0
13

The UConn Data and Science Club will be hosting a Sports Analytics Symposium next month.  Photo by     rawpixel.com     from     Pexels

The UConn Data and Science Club will be hosting a Sports Analytics Symposium next month. Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

The University of Connecticut welcomes the unprecedented staging of the Sports Analytics Symposium next month.  

Organized by the UConn Data Science Club and the College of Liberal Arts and Science’s Statistical Data Science Lab, the event concentrates the growing sports analytics industry, which boasts a USD .56 billion market value. The event will be held in room 102 of the McHugh Building, beginning at 9 a.m. on Oct. 5.   

Inspired by the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, which is in its 14th staging, the seminar aims to provide a forum for students to interact with industry professionals, discussing the role of analytics in global sports. 

“We want to make this a premier event at UConn, accessible to students, given the fact that larger conferences like this cost $200-300,” Data Science Club Vice President Taaj Cheema said.

Featuring three keynote speakers within the industry, the symposium takes the form of 45-60 minute speaker presentations, followed by a poster session and networking mixer.

>
“We want to make this a premier event at UConn, accessible to students, given the fact that larger conferences like this cost $200-300.”
— Taaj Cheema, Vice President of the Data Science Club 

“We’re having three keynote speakers who will be relatively short, giving us the opportunity to allow for questions and comments,” Cheema added.  

Amongst the presenters are Dr. Brian McDonald, Director of Data and Analytics at ESPN, which has been named as title sponsors for the event.  

The symposium which has a $5 price tag for admission, also aims to expose students to the changing market environment across the region, and the increasing usage of sports analytics solutions in North America. Business Wire reports that the global sports analytics market is expected to reach a revenue of 4.5 billion by 2024, growing at a compound annual growth rate of 43.3 percent during the forecast period.  

Nicholas Martin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.r.martin@uconn.edu.