Students strike for action on climate change

0
0

UConn students to participate in the Youth Climate Strike led by Greta Thunburg. Students are encouraged joi in solidarity.  Photo by    Bob Blob    on    Unsplash

UConn students to participate in the Youth Climate Strike led by Greta Thunburg. Students are encouraged joi in solidarity. Photo by Bob Blob on Unsplash

On Friday, Sept. 20, University of Connecticut students will participate in the Youth Climate Strike, an extension of the world wide climate strike led by youth climate activist Greta Thunburg. 

Some UConn participants will be based at the state capitol in Hartford from 12 to 3 p.m. There will also be a climate strike on campus where students will walk out of class at 9 a.m. The Hartford strike is expected to attract thousands of attendees and is coordinated by 60 environmental organizations associated with the Connecticut Climate Crisis Mobilization (C3M) coalition. 

“The objectives of the CT strike will be to demand the governor take immediate action on climate change, the specifics of which will be hand-delivered to the governor,” said Sena Wazer, co-director of Youth Climate Strike CT and a first-semester UConn student. 

In an interview with Connecticut Public Radio, Wazer said, the organization also wants to ensure all communities and public school student have access to climate education and Connecticut ceases to permit new or expanded fossil fuel infrastructure. 

UConn’s Fridays for Future will also be in attendance for the event. The club encourages other students to join in solidarity.  

“We want to make some serious changes, but we also want this to be an engaging and enjoyable opportunity for students. Bring your Spikeball! Bring your poetry! Bring your hype! Pull up!!!,” an official email from Fridays for Future read. “Let’s work together to fight for climate justice for everyone.”  

Some UConn professors are also encouraging students to attend, including political science Professor Kimberly Bergendahl, who provided an alternative testing date for her students. 

“[Bergendahl] said that professors across campus had been urged to allow students to go,” third semester political science and communication double major Jennifer Cooney said. “We are allowed to make up a test that was originally scheduled for Friday.”  

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.