Cool, but limited: Student reactions to Whitney dining hall renovations  

0
2

Students enjoy the new Whitney Dining Hall.    Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

Students enjoy the new Whitney Dining Hall.

Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

Emma Pereira, a third-semester business management major, said she thinks Whitney looks more modern now and she appreciates the change in atmosphere.   

“I like how modern the atmosphere is and [in particular] the room in the back area,” Pereira said.  “I also like the string of lights hanging from the ceiling.”  

Other students feel that Whitney still struggles to provide a lot of food options. Katie Steele, a seventh-semester pathobiology major, said this is her second year living in East and she continues to find it difficult to have a variety of choices.  

“The renovations are very aesthetically pleasing but the new action bar leaves little room for other options,” Steele said. “There’s a salad bar, sandwich bar, action bar and then a total of six other trays that four [of the] options are usually some sort of sauce or side. So if you’re looking for options, it’s definitely not the place to go.”  

Marie Frese, a third-semester animal science major, said that she enjoys the action bars but also wants some more basic food choices.  

“I like the vibe of it.” Frese said. “The food is good and I like the action bar… but I also wish they had more options sometimes [for example] chicken.” 

Tom Shao, a seventh-semester physiology and biology major, said he has started to go to Whitney more frequently after the renovation.  

“I didn’t want to eat in Whitney before since it was so far and didn’t think it was worth it,”  Shao said.  The new aesthetic just tricks my mind into thinking the food is better.”  

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.