Crickets: Now available in the Student Union convenience store  

0
0

Crickets are now served in the Student Union.   Photo by     Miguel Á. Padriñán     from     Pexels     .

Crickets are now served in the Student Union.

Photo by Miguel Á. Padriñán from Pexels.

Students can now pick up crickets as a study snack at the Union Central Exchange Convenience Store in the University of Connecticut Student Union.  

Since Tuesday, the convenience store has been selling Ento Life kickers, a vial of roasted crickets available in flavors varying from Italian Lasagna to Cotton Candy.  

Dining services Executive Director Dennis Pierce said in an email the idea to sell the crickets came after the success of last year’s “A Bug Feast” event hosted by Dining Services.  

“It was a popular event with students eager to attend, so it was logical to offer them at our C-Store,” Pierce said.   

“A Bug Feast” offered various courses, each one featuring an insect as an ingredient, according to the Dining Services website. 

Pierce said crickets were also served in 2015 in the Dining Services food truck, as an optional taco topping.  

Hesitant to give them a try? According to Ana Legrand, who teaches SPSS 1125- Insects, Food and Culture at UConn, insects are a common staple of many people’s diets. 

“We know that (insects) they’re very high in protein compared to other food items, so in general, insects are well-packed with number of vitamins and minerals,” Legrand said. “They provide all the essential amino acids, so those are some of the benefits attributed to insect consumption.” 

Michael Cumins, a fifth-semester communication major and the assistant student manager of the convenience store commented on the Buy or Sell UConn Tickets Facebook page: 

“they’re fire (the crickets) ngl.” 

“The crickets themselves don’t have a very noticeable flavor,” Cumins said in a message. “You can really only taste what they’re coated in. They’re a great source of protein and a fun alternative to normal snacks.” 

Third-semester psychology major Davonte Glasford said he’s heard crickets are a good source of protein. 

“I mean to each their own if they like eating crickets,” Glasford said. 

When asked if he thinks the crickets would sell, Pierce said he hopes they will fly off the shelves, but not literally. 

If you are allergic to shellfish, the packaging states that you may also be allergic to crickets. Ento-life kickers! Crickets are available in the student union for $4.49 per 10g vial. 

Olivia Hickey is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at olivia.hickey@uconn.edu.