Fall into convention season

0
0
exc-5d8971259cda8f371d05f5a8

To any UConn student looking for a convention to attend this fall, here are the top three recommendations for the best conventions in the tri-state area. One such is the RetroWorld Expo, which celebrates video games, tabletop gaming and pop culture.  Photo by     Pixabay     from     Pexels

To any UConn student looking for a convention to attend this fall, here are the top three recommendations for the best conventions in the tri-state area. One such is the RetroWorld Expo, which celebrates video games, tabletop gaming and pop culture. Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Summer may be officially over and class is back in session, but it doesn’t mean you need to completely say goodbye to going out and having fun. If you enjoy going to conventions as much as I do, here are some top recommendations for the best cons for University of Connecticut students to go to this fall in the tri-state area.  

RetroWorld Expo 

RetroWorld Expo (RWX) is a Connecticut-based organization founded in 2015 by a group of individuals dedicated to creating a convention that celebrates video games, tabletop gaming and pop culture over the past 40 years.  

It takes place Sept. 28 and 29 at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford, Connecticut. Weekend tickets go for $45, while Saturday-only is $30 and Sunday-only is $25.  

RWX is known for its massive marketplace, esports competitions, free play arcade and gaming area, tabletop gaming, cosplay, live music and YouTube industry guests and panels. There are also tons of vendors selling video games, crafts, artwork and much more. 

RWX works with several tournament organizers to host a range of e-sports tournaments throughout the weekend. Tournaments are open to players of all ages and skill level. Casual players and spectators are both welcome. Retro Rumble tournaments require pre-registration but most other tournaments can be registered for the day of the event. There will be a tournament registration booth on the show floor where you can sign up.  

If you are into competitive gaming and want to try your hand at a little prize money and prestige this weekend, or just a casual fan who wants to hang out and play some games, then RWX should be your go to convention for next weekend.  

Anime NYC 2019 

Anime NYC is New York City’s largest anime convention, which showcases the best of Japanese pop culture. Anime NYC brings anime fans and publishers together for three days of unique exhibits, exclusive screenings, extensive panels and appearances by some of the biggest creators in Japan.  

Anime NYC will be held for the third year in a row from Nov. 15 to Nov. 17 at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. Weekend tickets cost $70; while Friday-only is $45, Saturday-only is $60 and Sunday-only is $45. Prices will increase at the door, so it is recommended to pre-order online.  

Anime NYC is powered by Crunchyroll (one of America’s largest distributors, publisher and licensing company for streaming anime and manga) and will showcase other industry titans like Aniplex, Bandai Namco, Funimation, HIDIVE, Kinokuniya Bookstore, Kodansha Comics, Sentai Filmworks, SUNRISE, Tokyo Otaku Mode, Yen Press, Vertical, VIZ Media and many more.  

With professional cosplay contests, a robust dealer room and an even bigger artist alley this year, if New York Comic Con doesn’t satisfy anime cravings then this convention most definitely will.  

In 2018, Anime NYC welcomed 36,000 fans from across New York City, all 50 states and over 15 countries – a number that only continues to rise.  

Anime NYC is a creation of LeftField Media, an event company made up of dedicated fans and experienced convention organizers. LeftField was founded by Greg Topalian, the original creator of New York Comic Con. Peter Tatara, the event director of Anime NYC, is the man behind guests, panels and special events at the former New York Anime Festival. 

To save yourself the hassle of driving in the city, grab a ride on Metro-North to Grand Central Terminal and then take the 7 Train to the Hudson Yards Station – it’ll land you right in front of the convention center and save you from wasting money on an Uber that could be spent buying more anime merch.  

Furpocalypse 2019 

Furpocalypse is a Halloween-themed Anthropomorphic (a.k.a. “Furry” — if you aren’t well-versed in the subculture) convention that raises money for animal and environmental charities. The three-day event hosts anthropomorphic enthusiasts from all over the world, and boasts a wide variety of classes, discussion groups and events. 

The theme is  “Retro Wasteland” this year and the convention will be hosted at the Red Lion Hotel in Cromwell, CT from Oct. 25 to Oct. 27. General admission tickets are $50, but if you want perks like t-shirts, hoodies, event glasses or tickets to the special dinner event, it can be anywhere from $70 to $200 depending on how much you want to treat yourself.  

Furpocalypse has been dedicated to raising money for charity since its inception, and their two biggest ones are The United States War Dogs Association, Inc., and True Colors. 

The United States War Dogs Association, Inc., is a nonprofit organization of former and current United States Military Dog Handlers and supporting members committed to promoting the long history of the Military Service Dogs, establishing permanent War Dog Memorials and educating the public about the invaluable service of these canines to our country. 

True Colors is a non-profit organization that works with other social service agencies, schools, organizations and within communities to ensure that the needs of sexual and gender minority youth are both recognized and competently met. 

Furpocalypse has been held since 2014 in Cromwell, Connecticut and was founded by former FurFright staff in order to continue the tradition of an annual Halloween-themed Connecticut convention, after the departure of FurFright founders Belic Bear and K’gra Leopard which ran from 2003 to 2013.  

The convention has been thinking of spreading its wings (no pun intended) and will change their location in 2020 in order to better accommodate their growing numbers. So if you want to enjoy the classic Furpocalypse experience before they evolve (also no pun intended) into something bigger and better, join in for one last hoorah. 

Anna Marini is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.marini@uconn.edu